Profile picture for user RichmondLVAD
Henry R. Recipient

FREE LVAD VEST INSTRUCTIONS. My Wife Made Me a Wonderful LVAD Vest! Email us For FREE INSTRUCTIONS at hankpattyrichmond@icloud.com Updated 2024

PLEASE EMAIL US DIRECTLY FOR INSTRUCTIONS at Hankpattyrichmond@icloud.com     

We have received and filled hundreds of requests for the LVAD vest instructions. We hope that you were able to make your vest and are enjoying its benefits. 

My name is Hank Richmond. I received my LVAD on Friday the 13th of June, 2014.  I want to share with you the vest that my wife Patty made for me for my Heartmate II gear. I've been wearing them (I have had at least 10 in all) since September 2014. I needed something comfortable and balanced that would fit under my shirt. After some experiments, she came up with this one, see pictures. It's very comfortable, I forget I'm wearing it, and I can play golf in it! The wires are tucked away and protected too. Patty made a word document with pictures and instructions on how she made the vest. You can adapt it to your own size and desires. I would be happy to send the instructions to you, just send your request to the email above. We wish you a strong recovery with your LVAD.

Dear Friends, please don’t forget to scroll to the end to see all of the wonderful photos of how this legendary vest will blend into your body and give you comfort and independence. Hank could not say enough about how this vest changed his life.  It really did help him to recover and live a high quality of life.  Hank had his LVAD for five and a half years.  We traveled all over the US and five times to Europe during that time.  Hank passed away on December 6, 2019.  He had a stroke on December 4, passed very quickly and did not suffer.  Up to that day he lived life to the fullest, and so can you.  Please note that in 2017 Hank fell off a low ladder that he was advised not to use.  That led to his medical complications, so keep that in mind.  Please enjoy this wonderful vest, and enjoy your life, like Hank did.  Thanks,  Patty Richmond

Profile picture for user marion55
Marion C.

I must admit that I like to carry my batteries and bits in a Back Pack, I have purchased 5 from Lidl England they are £2.99 and are so comfortable and light come in 4 colours.
Profile picture for user sareed50

In reply to by Marion C.

Glen R.

Hey I might be interested in the back packs that you ordered from England. Do you have a picture of them. My husband has a heartmate3. It is now a year old. We are always looking for new ideas on how to carry his equipment.
Profile picture for user Susang

In reply to by Marion C.

Barry and Susan (caregiver) S.

Yes can you send pictures and more info. Always looking for more comfortable wear for my husband. Thank you❤️
Profile picture for user Brent
Brenton L.

Are you looking for something that is made and will be shipped out within 24 hours?

If so, look no further: LVAD Gear has designed a shirt and other accessories just for HeartWare & HeartMate LVADs. The shirt features a double locking controller pocket with a window and locking battery pockets.

See the full line of LVAD Clothing including HeartWare and HeartMate specific backpacks, sleeping belts and a selection of vest options at www.lvadgear.com.

Everything ships out within 24 hours. Check out www.LVADGear.com today!

Profile picture for user JMM
Joan M.

Hello,

My brother is having LVAD surgery next week and I would like to surprise him with a vest.  Can you please forward the pattern to:  mcfadyenjoan@gmail.com

thank you!!

Profile picture for user jbryant
june B.

Would this vest work with a Heartmate 3? Can women wear this vest as well?

June B.

Profile picture for user Kwaweeforme6-7
Hanunah U.

Thank you for sharing your Vest, it looks comfortable. I like the way it conceals the wires and batteries and how they are positioned! Can it be used by a female LVADi?

Hanunah 

Profile picture for user Anonymous
Anonymous

wHEN YOU ARE IN a cooler climate Patty's design is absolutely the best I have used.  My wife has adjusted the design slightly to take into account my short trunk.  For warmer weather Frances Cupiolo's shirt available on Etsy is the best.  Frances will adjust battery pockets and other things to adjust for your body shape.

Profile picture for user Anonymous
Anonymous

wHEN YOU ARE IN a cooler climate Patty's design is absolutely the best I have used.  My wife has adjusted the design slightly to take into account my short trunk.  For warmer weather Frances Cupiolo's shirt available on Etsy is the best.  Frances will adjust battery pockets and other things to adjust for your body shape.

Profile picture for user Allen's VAD
Allen's VAD B.

My Sister in Law made me three LVAD shirts the Controller has its own pocket and so do each Battery. Once I get my Transplant I will be giving my shirts to an Lvad patient.

Profile picture for user Mikey Chapman
Michael C.

I have an LVAD 3 and am experiencing some on going lightheadedness and fatigue for some time now. We have done numerous tests and are struggling to identify the cause of these issues. We have been able to verify it is not dehydration or excess fluid. Was wondering if anyone has experienced these issues and if so, if you could share what your doctors have done to resolve these issues for you? Thank You.

Profile picture for user Reiss_Tatum

In reply to by Michael C.

Reiss T.

I have had my Heartmate II for over 9 years and have occasionally had the same problem. Something that has helped me was cutting back on my blood pressure meds, with doctor's agreement, of course. That and extra hydrating has helped a lot. I turn 80 in two weeks and will never be back to my formerly active lifestyle but am happy to still be above ground and generally healthy. I have had no VAD or heart related problems to speak of but did have a cardioversion two years ago that seems to have done the trick to stop A-fib. I suggest you check with your doc about possibly cutting back on BP meds for a while to see if that helps. 

Profile picture for user tlle50

Todd J.

I have experienced the same symptoms from time to time, but it goes away. I'm not sure what causes it. It could be diet. You  mad need to do some light to moderate exercise to strengthen your heart a little. Having this inside us is a crap shot on how we'll feel on a day to day basis. Hang in there my friend. A transplant is right around the corner.

Todd J.

I have experienced the same symptoms from time to time, but it goes away. I'm not sure what causes it. It could be diet. You  mad need to do some light to moderate exercise to strengthen your heart a little. Having this inside us is a crap shot on how we'll feel on a day to day basis. Hang in there my friend. A transplant is right around the corner.

Todd J.

Profile picture for user rsambors
Ray ..

I am assuming these are new symptoms and that your LDAV III has been in for a while ?

Mind you, I am NOT A DOCTOR.  I am a "lay person" with some VAD exposure but no VAD training.   So, these are just questions to ASK YOUR DOCTOR.

The symptoms (fatigue in muscles and lightheadedness) you describe may evolve over time ... rather than manifested immediatley ... when the VAD impeller speed is slightly mis-matched to your physiology. 

Sometimes there is blood pooling in the lower extremities (numbness in the feet) due to low VAD blood flowage (impeller needs speed adjusting), but you did not mention this as a symptom.

Attributes (such as low impeller speed) in the blood flow controller circuits have to re-tuned sometimes, over the course of time, since the VAD impeller speed is software-fixed and not variable speed (self-adjusting for physiological changes).

Profile picture for user Susang
Barry and Susan (caregiver) S.

Yes I would like the vest pattern.

thank you , Susan Schaller

sgs1948@me.com

Profile picture for user Mariza
Mariza M.

Hi,

Did someone receive a kind of document/card from the LVAD team specifying that we carry the LVAD in the body and an extra bag with backup equipment,  to be used to pass entry control of banks, airport, museum or any controlled area? If yes, could you please send me a model/photo to show it to my LVAD team. Here in Brazil we are very few LVAD users and nobody knows it in this kind of services. Without a specific card it’s complicated to explain about LVAD anywhere we go. Maybe it would be also very useful for traveling to be shown to the flight company. 
Thanks for any info in this field

Mariza

Profile picture for user lhanson
Lisa H.

Thanks for the vest pattern.  I found the instructions easy to follow and was able to make my first vest in 2.5 hours.  The vest was a huge improvement to the fishing vest I purchased.  Having the equipment sit close to the body and the crossed elastic in the back increased the safety and ease of wearing the equipment.  Mobility has improved significantly.  My cotton was lighter, so I added some interfacing.  I will make a couple more after he test drives this for a few days.  

Patty and Hank - you are the best!  

Lisa

Profile picture for user DiTay
Dianne T.

This vest has been a game changer for my husband. It’s very comfortable for him to wear and he has become more active since starting to wear these vests. I’ve now made him 3 vests and he’s looking for more colors. Thanks so much for sharing this pattern Patty!

Profile picture for user colen
Nancy C.

I was sorry to read about your husband’s passing.  It sounds like he did live life to the fullest and is certainly an inspiration.  I got my heart mate 3 in March and am struggling to find clothing suitable for women.  Please send. your vest instructions.

Nancy in Missouri 

Profile picture for user Bill Gest
William G.

Going on my first flight in USA after getting a Heart Mate 3 last year. 

question: is there any problem with sending charger, extra batteries, mobile charging unit and backup controller though TSA XRay machine?

planning hand pat down for myself

please let me know of your experiences  my Hospital LVAD nurse is saying nothing can go though XRAY

Thanks

Bill

Profile picture for user connie48
Connie D.

I would love to have pattern for the vest. 
thank you, Connie Davison

Profile picture for user dstills
Deannie S.

I am very sorry to read about Hank's passing.

I am just now coming up on 5 years for my Heartmate 3 and would be very grateful for the vest instructions if they are still available.

Thanks in advance, Deannie S.   email is  dndstills02@gmail.com

Profile picture for user presbytal
Sravasti T.

Hi All

Hope you are doing well or reasonably well. My husband got the Heartwear (HVAD) in January 2020. He got a stroke in September 2020, due to the fact that a clot developed that went to his brain (he was changing his battery and the other lead came off). But after that he improved and was thriving until May 1, 2022. There was a weird alarm for low flow (0.3) yet he didn't feel anything. We immediately reached out to the LVAD team and he was hospitalized. While he was stable and they were planning to get him listed for transplant while at the same time planning for surgery, his device alarmed again with high wattage. They could not wait anymore and had to decommission the device and gave him Impella (which worked very well for him before when he got the LVAD). But this time, somehow it didn't work and he crashed... coded.. for 35 mins. He survived that and they didn't think he will wake up etc. but he did. He remembered everything, was breathing on his own for 10 hours a day etc. but then June beginning he got infection and after that every time he got better, something happened to make things worse. Ultimately he got a massive brain bleed, and that was it. He was declared brain dead on June 26th. Due to the stupid device malfunction, I lost the love of my life, even if he fought so very valiantly. 

I have the charging station and one extra battery (I gave the others to the hospital), LVAD dressing kits, sterile gloves, and lot of other wound dressings incl. Tegaderm dressings, especially the very large ones which you can put over the LVAD dressings before a bath etc.

If anyone wants anything, please feel free to reach out. I am in Stamford, CT. 

Thank you and all the best to all of you!

best,

Sravasti 

Profile picture for user RichmondLVAD
Henry R.

Please email us at hankpattyrichmond@sbcglobal.net for the FREE LVAD VEST INSTRUCTIONS, I will quickly email them to you.