Profile picture for user MRDICK
Dick T. Prospective Patient

Flying with LVAD

Planning on flying from Milwaukee to Orlando in February. Any tips or suggestions on how to manage the LVAD equipment?

Profile picture for user Meianna
Tonya E.

Hi,

when I flew I had a small carry one bag( the one with wheels) and had my back up batteries,and vad supplies packed in there. I also went to my coordinator and got a letter saying that I couldn't go thru the xray machine and I needed my equipment and supplies near by.  I made sure I could board in the first group to give me more time to get settled and situated. 

Profile picture for user Chuck1962
Chuck S.

I flew from Boston to Virginia with a few hours notice . Called my LVAD team and they put things emailed me a letter for TSA stating my requirements for my LVAD and they found me a hospital nearby in Virginia for VAD patients 

I had to go off transplant list for the week 

LVAD team took care of what I needed In  a short time frame and we just need remember that they are here to helps

Profile picture for user 2324Lvad
Sharon P.

There is a program called TSA Cares for assistance for persons with disabilities or medical conditions. You call them 72 hours before your departure to assistance preparing for the security process. I haven't used them yet because I keep forgetting about the assistance.

Their phone number is 855-787-2227 or ContactCenter@tsa.dhs.gov

I'm sure I'm not alone but I have such deep gratitude for my LVAD team. They make life go so smoothly and frequently go the extra mile to help solve non medical problems i.e. medicare and insurance. I am very blessed.