Profile picture for user Shannon
shannon j. Caregiver

Stand proud with your LVAD! Post from Our Life Our Love His LVAD

When I first knew that Jason was going to get an LVAD many questions and thoughts came up. One thing I was worried about was Jason feeling self conscious with the LVAD. Now looking back, I just have to laugh at myself. Alot of times though... I worry more than him! I never forget the first time we went out together(same day of his discharge) , he said " Only a few people looked at me" and I said "oh really?, I didn't see anyone look at you"...(which I hadn't) Now when Jason goes out, sometimes people will come up and ask him what it is. I remember the first time I was with him when someone asked him about the LVAD. He was excited to let them know, and told them all about the LVAD, he made me so proud, I thought I was going to cry!

Another thing I was worried about was how he would be in front of me. I never wanted to have him feel shy or embarrassed. I'm happy to report..that didn't happen either! He runs around (not literally) the house now with his shirt off, looking as handsome as he always has, and I love it!

If there is one thing I can say it would be this;

I know having an LVAD is not perfect, but Thank God that there is an option. With having the LVAD, you now have the knowledge and experience to help, educate and comfort others, and you are now spreading the word about LVAD's so more people will know about them. Not to mention everyone you talk to might become an organ donor because of you.

So, Stand Proud with your LVAD...STAND PROUD!

Profile picture for user cuddlebears7278
Tania H.

well said!!! the thing that bothers Rob most is when people actually do stare. He would rather them ask what it is then to just stare. And they do. But it is because we live in Vermont and there aren't any people around here with VADS. People know NOTHING about them here. So it is pretty cool when people do ask about his device and he explains it to them and they actually listen :) Some people ask and Rob tells them its an LVAD and they just say "oh" like they dont really care. Whatever. We know what it is and it is keeping him alive, so who cares what other people think???