Profile picture for user Angil82
Angie G. Caregiver

New Caregiver

My husband had his LVAD placed two days ago. Today I changed out the controller for the first time. I was so nervous I would screw something up. The staff who were there coaching me were full of support and encouragement. There is so much to learn and do every day I worry. Will be up to the task?

Profile picture for user COOLCATMIMI
MARILYN N.

MY HUSBAND HAD HIS LVAD IN 2010, HE IS DOING GREAT, AS FOR ME, I'M 99% BETTER, I STILL HAVE MY MOMENTS BUT IT'S GETTING BETTER , THANKS TO THE SUPPORT FROM THE MY LVAD MEETING ONLINE THE FIRST MONDAY OF EVERY MONTH, IT HAS HELPED ME ALOT.

I KNOW YOU AND ALL OTHER CARETAKERS WILL MAKE IT.

Profile picture for user MJ
Michele S.

In all honesty - it depends on the health of your recipient. One gal said her husband was "doing great". Mine cries every day and has not had one day free from sickness, pain, or sadness since he had his done. Of course, his VAD implant was a surprise and non-consentual after a failed by-pass, and his heart condition was sudden and immediate - perhaps your recipients have chosen the VAD to correct a long-suffered illness. My husband is also small in stature, and his malnourished shoulders cannot barely bear the weight of the batteries. So, not trying to be a downer, just a realist, one's ability to bear caregiving may be proportionate to the health of your recipient.