Profile picture for user jholder85638
John H. Prospective Patient

Nervous about LVAD Surgery and Pain

Hi folks,

On March 13th (a Friday), I had a heart attack at 12:10am. I'm 37 male and newly diagnosed diabetes patient (the day of the attack).

I weigh 180, don't smoke, do drugs or engage in risky behaviour, and eat decently healthy...so as you can imagine, this whole avalanche has been a little overwhelming. I will go into the hospital at St. Joseph's medical Center in Phoenix on Monday 5/4/2020) and have my surgery on the following Thursday.

During my first 2 visits during the heart attack, there were many moments in which I was told that I shouldn't have pain...or wouldn't-- but I did. The lines in the neck, were a great example of incredible pain at the site..and all I was allowed was Tylenol every 6 hours. The pain and absence of family members due to COVID-19, made the visit quite unpleasant.

The team has told me over and over that they will take good care of me and that the pain will be manageable. Can anyone give me advice on what to expect and how to prepare for the upcoming surgery mentally? 

I am scared.