Profile picture for user TomFulwider1963
Thomas F. Recipient

im wondering about somthing

I am a recipient for an LVAD before I decide whether I'm going to do it or not I really wanna know about it and I have some questions here's the first question that comes to mind...... Will I have a pacemaker and defibrillator with my LVAD or will they take the pacemaker and defibrillator out and put the LVAD in?

Profile picture for user shortstp78

In reply to by Michael S.

Juanita P.

They will not take the ICD out with an LVAD.  Only if you had a transplant.  My ICD was put in 2 1/2 months prior to the LVAD.  As I posted while back, I went to 5 diff. cardiologist in the area, as i was told i needed biventricular.  I was also informed by the "5" diff. doctors that it would improve EF.  Well they were all wrong, it didn't.  Actually, 2 1/2 months later....I pretty much died and God brought me back.  They will not take ICD/pacer out with LVAD you can beat your bottom dollar.  Its yours to keep...If you don't have it yet, probably won't get it with LVAD....If they say you do...REALLY MAKE SURE YOU RESEARCH THAT ONE AND GET ALL THE INFORMATION SUPPORTING THE NEED.  

Profile picture for user Susang
Barry and Susan (caregiver) S.

It’s very disappointing that the hospitals are not interested in some of the equipment.   If anything to use for  practicing with new patients or interns.  I have no idea what to do with my husbands wonderful equipment that gave him life for 4 beautiful years .  
Susan Schaller

Profile picture for user PopHarry
Harry J.

My husband’s pacemaker/ defibrillator stayed in with lvad.  I have read online that some patients are exoplanted when they get the lvad. 

Profile picture for user Neilly
Neil W.

Hi there,

I had my Lvad implanted about 2 months ago. I can tell you that it takes some getting used to. Carrying all the gear around and changing the dressing every night is tiresome at first. 

Having said that, after only 2 months I'm feeling better than i have in many years. My legs are getting stronger and the distance I can walk is improving. 

Not being able to shower at first is not fun but you soon get used to all of these issues and they become routine. 

All in all, I would highly recommend getting an Lvad if you need one. 

BTW I'm 60 years old.

Neil