Profile picture for user acura
Pat A. Caregiver

LVAD supplies--- Who supplies them for you ?

Where do you get you bandages, hollisters, etc. from ? Does your Cardiologist or a mail order like Allere supply them to you ?

Profile picture for user acura
Pat A.

Thank, my husband was getting them from the hospital when he had visits. That was a pain though. They just threw any and everything in a bag. my husband was pretty attive in the summer. He was replacing the hollister more often. His nurse said he shouldn't be using that many ----- how is she to know the life ? The mail order from allere seems to be better.

Profile picture for user Kurt
Marie M.

I am also a new lvad caregiver, my husband had an lvad in aug. 2012 It was fine as long as he was in the hospital now we are home and I can't seem to find out to get supplies. I did however get a shipment in sent from the hospital when he was released, but then I went to order more and they said they no longer take Medicare primaries for wound care. We are both over 70. I keep bugging the coordinator of the lvad who ordered and gave us the holster, etc. but she doesn't seem to know where to get supplies. I recently spoke with a female that had an lvad done in NY and her coordinator ordered her a package kit. She gave me her order slip which she orders herself and I called the company and they need to talk to coordinator of the program. Here it is Dec. 2012 and still haven't had an answer. I have been looking up on the web, but I don't want to get one supply from one company and other supplies from an other. Did you find anything available??? Also, want dressisng do you use, I think every hospital uses something different.

Marie M.

What are INR supplies? I recently went to several pharmacies and they say they don't carry wound care products. I will look up Orthodynamics however. I am going crazy looking on the web with no results. Also have to know what supplies you are on.

Profile picture for user ken_berger
Ken B.

I 2 by 2 gauze pads from Wall-Mart and cut a small line in it and I use the 3 by 3 sternal band aids from there or Walgreens and some times dollar general. They are easier than tape stick better too. I can change it out in under 5 min with no problem, but I do change it usually twice a day. If you want the real stuff have the stock number off the package and look it up on amazon the prices vary a lot. Just make sure it is sternal. As far as the holsters call thoratec they will call your vad coordinator. They don't like getting called by thoratec either. Hope this helped ken

Marie M.

The coordinator of the lvad equipment set up with a company called CFK Cardiac Technologies, LLC Gainsville, FL 352-332-3760. They are excellent.Our supplies are: Gauze 2x2, Gauze 2x2 drain, biopatch, 3m tegaderm 4x4 #1626W, Dynahex 2% 4 oz.,Foley Anchors also we like the paper tape 1". Our insurance DOES NOT PAY FOR GLOVES, SOAP, SALINE (CAN BE PICKED UP AT DRUGSTORE OR SUPERMARKED) AND MASK

I do believe that each hospital has different ways of using wound care items. this is what NY does. change 1st a week. As far has holsters, the coorinator also supplied us with shower holder, 2 different holsters, and a spare carry on bag with controller and 2 batteries to take when we tavel close by. hope is this helpful to you. It took me almost 8 months for the coordinator to get these items for Kurt thru insurance, otherwise I was buying them thru the web and my local drugstores when possible.

Profile picture for user JustNanc
Nancy A.

After much confusion about ordering supplies after you are done with home health and what is covered and what isn't I just ordered them to have them and will figure that out later. I needed the foley anchors and could only find them on First Option Medical. They offer them as a stand alone item without having to order a complete catheter kit and the price is 6.97 which is the cheapest I have found. Our home health nurse had priced them and said she found them for 9 dollars. I found everything I needed for changing the dressing site and found their prices very reasonable. I was very impressed with their service and speedy delivery.

Marie M.

The coordinator at our hospital hooked us with Continuum in Florida it is owned by Thoratec. we use 2x2 drain sponges, 2x2 gauze sponges, 4x4 all purpose sponges,Dynahex 2% 4 oz bottles. foley Anchors, I found on the internet 6x6 Nexcare waterproof adhesive dressing for his showers. The items: not covered by Medicare, are: face masks, saline, exam gloves. Hope this is helpful to you.

Profile picture for user JimPetty
James (Jim) P.

My supplies are provided by a medical supply company here in the Boise, Idaho area. I use the following supplies at each change of dressing:

Three packets of Medline Gauze sponges 3in x 3in for wash rinse and dry.

One 2in x 2in Medline Avant Gauze Drain packet to cover the opening and wrap around the driveline.

One 2in x 2in Medline Gauze sponge packet to cover the previous pad and the driveline. I cut a 4in x 43/4in Tegaderm in half and apply it below the opening to anchor the drive line and then use a full Tegaderm to cover dressing above and below and complete the anchor. I put a "C" curl in the drive line just to cover more of its length. With the drive line sandwiched between the two films it provides not only a solid anchor, but a waterproof one for the shower.

To moisten the wash and rinse gauze pads I use three 5ml "Airlife" Modudose 0.9% Sodium Chloride Solution. The 5ml size cuts down on wasted solution and is just right for the 3in x 3in pads.

Hope this helps.

Marie M.

I answered this twice, I am located down the page, under Kurt. Check it out. Also I found a medical company that I buy the gloves, face masks which are not covered by medicare or our secondary insurance. It is called Moore Medical, the phone # is 1`-800-234-1464. I asked them to send me a catalog. Very nice on the phone. Also I order Nexcare 6x6 waterproof dressing for Kurt's shower thru drugstore.com they are 3.99 each and I buy 6 at a time. Better than the one the holder etc. the hospital gave him thru Thoratec. the phone # is: 1-800-378-4786. for the first 8 months I received no wound care, therefore I kept searching the web. now we are covered for some of the items.

Profile picture for user godinadam
Adam G.

To keep the dressings dry, we there is a great product that uses a wide band of neoprene to make a watertight seal. There is no tourniquet effect or cutting off of circulation. Very well made and lasts in some cases a couple years.

http://gobiomed.com/collections/limbo

Marie M.

Medicare does not supply the following:I buy thru the web: thru eSafety Supplies, Nitrile exam gloves 18.59 for 200 gloves size M.; face masks don't have the info right now. Medicare & private Hospitalization pays for 2x2 drain sponges to put over the wound after cleansing, 2x2 gauze sponges to cover the hose, tape, 3M Medipore tape. to clean they supply Dynahex 2% - 4oz bottles for cleaning the wound, saline to clean the hose. If you need more info. please let me know. Your coordinator at the hospital should help you with supplies. I hope this is helpful. we also are supplied Foley Anchors to secure the hose for future pulling.

Profile picture for user willhyland
Jeff W.

I am 71 nd have medicare part A and D also Blue Cross Blue shield as a supplement. This covers all my supplies Split sponge. square gauze, Dyna- Hex 4 cleaning solution, 4" preperporated paper tape, Surgical mask, Distilled water, surgical gloves. These come from Continuim Services. I also have my own INR meter so no trips to get blood drawn. These supllies The lance and the test strips come from the meter manufacture-- Caugucheck. All of this was setup by my LVAD co-ordinator. They were instrumental in getting Medicare to cover the cost of the meter. Hope this helps some of you.
Profile picture for user Paul1991

In reply to by Jeff W.

Paul B.

Are required to test weekly when using the INR meter
Profile picture for user LuckyLouie

In reply to by Paul B.

Steve H.

Talk to your Dr. My Dr. wants every other week , but sometimes, depending on the number, it is every week. LVAD installed 7/16, 2 episodes of blood clots, so they watch me closely.
Profile picture for user willhyland
Jeff W.

I am 71 nd have medicare part A and D also Blue Cross Blue shield as a supplement. This covers all my supplies Split sponge. square gauze, Dyna- Hex 4 cleaning solution, 4" preperporated paper tape, Surgical mask, Distilled water, surgical gloves. These come from Continuim Services. I also have my own INR meter so no trips to get blood drawn. These supllies The lance and the test strips come from the meter manufacture-- Caugucheck. All of this was setup by my LVAD co-ordinator. They were instrumental in getting Medicare to cover the cost of the meter. Hope this helps some of you.

In reply to by Jeff W.

Paul B.

Are you required to test weekly if you use the INR meter
Paul B.

I use Advanced Medical they sell the Foley anchor for $4.42 each. I pay out my pocket for these but they have a separate division that will order them thru your insurance company.
Profile picture for user nanjemoymd
Thomas J.

Wound Care Resources 4 Newbern Highway Yorkville, TN 38389 Phone (888) 287-9797 Fax (877) 287-2007
Profile picture for user LuckyLouie
Steve H.

I get my supplies from Alere. Are there other suppliers one could contact?
Profile picture for user cjruth58
Cindy R.

I have gotten my supplies from a company called Ortho Dynamics for the last 7+ years. They take care of everything (dressing kits, replacement batteries, home inspection of home equipment, every year, and are wonderful, caring people. Ask your VAD coordinator or doctor. I am listing their phone number for your use, 1-800-497-9107
Profile picture for user Cutie Pie
Carlene M.

This is the first post that I have gotten since joining and I received some valuable information from other LVADers that has made write questions to ask my Dr and LVAD cord. Thanks so much for this web site.
Profile picture for user Jyotsna
Jyostna P.

I am very greatful  for the information on this web.I am a caregiver for my husband. He had heartmate 3 in october 4th 2020.I am still learning  about supplies and what is covered and what is not.I am looking for in home INR monitor but there is not a single company in Michigan that could deal with it using Medicare part A.