Profile picture for user Cat Shaw
Cat S. Caregiver

Where are the recent posts, I am scared!!

Hi, hello, good afternoon! My husband is jumping through the hoops to get qualified for the Heartmate II. We're just about done and meeting with the LVAD surgeon in just a week. I don't see many recent posts and it concerns me dearly. My husband is not a bridge to transplant due to his age (73) and it seems that many of the older posts that I have read talks about all the complications and in some instances (death) rather than the situations where the LVAD has given the recipient a quality of life and it's been beneficial. Is there anyone that can share with me something good that has resulted in the LVAD surgery? I am scared!
Profile picture for user mhorton248
Michael H.

I had my LVAD implant done on Jan 9, 2018 & have been home 2 months. While the experience is not without challenges, I would not hesitate to do it again. I feel so much better with everyday & my wife & I feel optimistic about the future for the first time in a long time. If you have specific questions I am happy to try & help. I usually only check this site once a week but I'll check back sooner if you have questions. Mike Horton
Profile picture for user Cat Shaw

In reply to by Michael H.

Cat S.

Hi Mike, Thanks so much for the reply. How has your recovery gone? Have you had many driveline infections? Have you had to be readmitted to the hospital? Are you up and about now? Have you been able to resume any hobbies that you had before? Oh dear, so many questions! ☺ The LVAD team has told us that we'd be meeting some of the recipients but we have not had a chance yet. I have tried a search for support groups but I have only found anything online and my husband would like to meet up with people in person. It's a scary time for both of us and I am trying my hardest to be positive but I am truly scared to death that although the surgery may go well, the recovery ( and complications) seems a bit challenging. Thanks again for everything you can share! Cat
Profile picture for user RichmondLVAD

In reply to by Cat S.

Henry R.

Hi Cat, We send our best to you and your husband. My husband Hank has had his LVAD for almost four years. He was very sick when he got it, at the age of 67. But he received great care at the University of Chicago, and the LVAD team has been wonderful as a source of communication and general assistance. Hank was very weak at first, but he embraced physical therapy and slowly regained his strength and weight. I was very nervous at first with the responsibilities that I had as a caregiver. I had to learn how to make a sterile dressing change, for one thing! I had to figure out where to order supplies, and lots of details that felt overwhelming. I kept taking my questions to our LVAD team. Over a short time, the details worked themselves out. I still do the dressing changes for Hank because I think it's easier to keep things sterile while he lies in bed as compared to him standing in front of a mirror changing the dressing. That's just my experience. Early on in his recovery I scheduled Hank for a sleep study. They found that he had horrible sleep apnea, and the CPAP has been very beneficial to his health, sleep, comfort and recovery. He loves his CPAP. I learned that sleep apnea can cause high blood pressure and heart failure! Hank began playing golf again six months after his surgery. He continues to play golf, drive, exercise, cook, and garden. He can do everything he did before, except he has to avoid water. He was recently in the hospital because he fell off a ladder, not because of the LVAD. (Holy Toledo!) Otherwise he has not been back in the hospital. He climbs the 85 steps into town quite often. We have traveled to Europe twice and are going again in May. We have two special suitcases to carry on board that contain all of his medical equipment. We have special tags on the cases, and markings, and take advantage of early boarding. We eat really well, lots of nutritous food, and some supplements, to keep us both strong. I recently convinced Hank to cut back on his volunteer work and to play more. I made him an LVAD vest early on, you can see our entry to order the free instructions to make the vest for your husband, it makes life a lot easier for Hank. I have learned a lot about the heart, and health, and natural things to do that help the body stay strong. For example, Hank uses his spirometer as a daily tool to keep his lungs strong and clear. I slowly gave up worrying over time. We are both very grateful for the people at the University of Chicago Medicine, who oversee Hank's care. They treat me like a colleague, they really do. It's such a help to me, as a caregiver. I appreciate how good they are to me and to Hank. The LVAD has been Hank's friend. I hope this information helps you. We wish you both wellbeing in the days ahead. Patty Richmond
Profile picture for user Cat Shaw

In reply to by Henry R.

Cat S.

Hi Patty, Thank you so much for the inspiration! Hubby and I sit here and say to each other, "we'll get through this" but really we're not sure how, just that we will. We're thrilled to hear that Hank is doing all these wonderful activities and also that you are traveling! Hubby's son and wife have an 8 year plan to retire on a boat moored in Italy and we have a plan to visit, god-willing. We're also looking at motorhomes to do some local traveling and it's so fantastic that traveling can be accomplished! Keep us in your thoughts and I will update as we get closer to surgery. Thanks again! Cat and Ed
Profile picture for user gldoble57

In reply to by Cat S.

Gregory D.

Here it is in black and white. I have had my LVAD for almost 5 years and not until recently did I have any infections or issues. My care givers have always been my wife and my children, however they have become more a set of shadows ensuring I am doing what is right when I am supposed to. The recovery is taxing, but it not that difficult. What makes it difficult for the LVAD is when the family or care givers are so worried that there is nothing the LVAD can do other than go along for the ride. Worry about things you can have have a positive effect on your husband and his recovery. Don't worry about the little things that you have no control over. They will always take care of themselves. What you need to worry about in his recovery, is to remind him that the pain that will be there is to remind him that he is alive, and that the sooner he gets off his rear and starts being active the faster he will recover. One of the most useful things you can tell him and he may or may not like it is when he is frustrated in the coming months from being concerned about the LVAD or the batteries and controller and begins to say, "I Can't". Is to explain to him there is no time for a Pity Party. He was given extra time for a reason, what the reason is who knows. But there is nothing worse than a person being given the gift of time and watching them P&M the hours away. Get up, Get out, and enjoy every good and terrible thing that happens everyday. I won't say go out and smell the roses, which isn't that bad. But live is full of Good things, Great things and Miserable things. But... thats just the way real life is. So relish it all, both you and he need to cover yourselves in it and be grateful to who ever or whatever. THere will be days where he wakes up and feels like crap and then there will be days he wakes up like nothing at all happened. So how is that any different than a normal life. Yes LVADs are special people, yes we need to be extra cautious when doing certain things. But we are still here and like the Energizer Bunny, we go on and on and on. Lastly being afraid of something as it is happening to you is a good thing, it means you will pay attention and learn. Just don't let the fear eat away at what you and your husband have or will have. Learn be positive, not giddy, always ask the MCS Group for answers, lastly please do not become bitter when the fear become too much. Learn, Listen, Live & Love Good Luck.
Profile picture for user wmckusick

In reply to by Gregory D.

Woodie M.

Do you mind if I copy this and paste on FB for my friends to understand why I have a "IIWII" (It Is What It Is) attitude and it's not a death defying mission I am on, I just want to live life like I was life is the key words.
Profile picture for user talia1baby

In reply to by Cat S.

mike d.

if you get a chance go out side and look. it sounds stupid i know but it sure beats the mind fucking i can do to my self! my doctors at christ hospital are good, but thay are 1 & 1/2 hours away from here. thay kept telling me to go to christ for help. i told them, would you like to drive to the hospital every 4 weeks to get checked when it can be done down the street at a nother avcate hospital. now i got the bad attitude. but a beautiful thing happened a doctor powa was sent that 1 1/2 hours to cheec on OTHER PATIENTS TOO. now i'am at the sherman in elgin thannk god. its just oh 10.00 in gas right. do stupid things like a stream or watch a storm slam into the east coast and think, what about the power. what! still talkeng with a bad attitude, if you know what i mean. keep loving and don't  forget about the guy up stairs. mike.


Profile picture for user LakeShoreBob
Robert F.

Hi, Cat. I was 70 when the HeartMate II was implanted in me on Feb. 9, 2011 as destination therapy for end stage congestive heart failure. Over the intervening years, I’ve moved from a sprawling suburban house to a downtown apartment a mile away from the hospital and from my daughter, have had to become the caregiver for my wife who’s had spinal surgery and has serious mobility and other health issues, have come to manage our household (marketing, cooking, washing clothes, cleaning, etc.), and have become a volunteer mentor to other LVAD recipients during their stays in a rehabilitation hospital. I lead a thoroughly independent, active and largely self-sufficient life, generally putting between two and three miles a day on my pedometer. Sure, there have been complications. I’ve had three internal bleeds in seven years, difficulties in getting the medications properly balanced, a TIA, and a stubbornly erratic pulsatility index, but I’m alive, active, and enjoying my life and family.
Profile picture for user Dick B
Richard B.

I have had my LVAD for just over 2 years and despite a driveline infection (which they tell me I will have to treat for the rest of my life) my quality of life is great. My good news is the chemo put my cancer into remission. The bad news is the chemo destroyed my heart. the doctors said get the LVAD or die. I couldn't walk from one doctor's office to another on the same floor of the hospital without stopping to let my head catch up. My ejection fraction was 10-15%. Now I can out walk just about anyone. I keep waking up on the green side of the grass (a long story there), I'm traveling internationally again and back to gardening although on a smaller scale. I had my LVAD put in at NY Presbyterian and I'm monitored at the Univ. of Va Medical Center which has almost become family. I have no regrets. I was told that because my name was not Dick Cheney, I was too old for a heart transplant. Good luck.
Profile picture for user Lgb0250
Larry B.

Breath Cat, breath. You are lucky in that you have had some time to research this before actually having the vad implanted. Most of us didn’t! I am 68 and have had my Heartmate 3 for 1.5 yrs now but have lived with heart failure for 25 years including a five way bypass 23 years ago. Like a previous poster I was back playing golf 4months after implant. I do everything I used to except swim. Small price to pay to be able to breath again and actually have some energy. There are other support groups on Facebook that I belong to that can provide more info than you will ever need. I belong to Facebook pages LVAD Friends, LVAD Conversations and LVAD Warriors. There is one called LVAD Caregivers that is only open to caregivers, no patients. Hopefully your vad coordinator will be able to arrange for another patient to talk to you before the implant procedure. Every time we are at our vad center we volunteer to speak to patients. As far as traveling goes we make sure to use our MyLVADHospital app to locate hospitals as close to where we will be in case of emergency. We also pay for air ambulance insurance just in case.
Profile picture for user rlouis1439

In reply to by Larry B.

ron l.

Lgb0250, Hi. I'm 70 yrs. old (male) and had a massive MI 11 yrs. ago. I'm in the early stages of chf. I am still active and can exercise. I would like for you to please tell me about your 25 yrs. living with heart failure. For example, how early in the 25 yrs. did your symptoms begin and when did they worse? Or anything you'd care to share. Realizing that everyone adjusts differently, I'm just curious as to how long you were able to go before it got severe. All the best. Thank you.
Profile picture for user musician
Ian P.

I have had an old model LVAD (Ventrassist) for 9 years now, so it shows how durable LVADS are. Life has not been easy with it, but the pump itself has performed perfectly. Ian.
Profile picture for user giardino1
Mary G.

Hi Cat, I just had my surgery on February 16, 2018. I am 71 and this is destination therapy for me. The timing was my choice. I was actually feeling really well but knew that it would not last. The better you feel going into the surgery the better the recovery. I had some complications with the surgery itself. I was on a vent for a few days (of course, I was totally out for this). I was in ICU for about 15 days and in the hospital for 24 days. I have only been out for about 2 weeks. I have had some sternum pain, but no pain where the driveline is. It is difficult to remember that the LVAD is now your closest friend. Your husband will sleep and shower attached to the machine. My husband changes the dressing for me. Perhaps I will learn some time in the future when everything if fully healed. I have occupational and physical therapists coming to the house. Being in bed for so many days really weakens a person. I feel really well. I am still a little weak in the legs and arms. There will be sternum restrictions when he first has the surgery. Talk to your VAD team about these. I would do it again.
Profile picture for user link2brian
Brian L.

While I do have a Heartmate II as a "bridge to transplant", I have had it with limited complications for almost two years. The quality of life is worth any inconvenience. Even if this were the only remaining treatment for my heart condition, I hope that I would have taken it, as I literally died and had to be revived before it became apparent that I couldn't wait any longer for a heart. These two years (and what I hope are as many more until I am the one to receive a transplant from the list) have been a blessing, allowing me to enjoy some extra time with my wife, coordinate several blood drives at my church (among other activities) and recently plan a trip to see my grandchildren, whom I haven't seen in almost three years. I am even considering a return to coaching baseball that I gave up a few years ago. I did have one complication (a minor staff infection that required surgery, a few days stay in the hospital, and an antibiotics for a long term treatment regiment) and there have been a couple of what I call "user errors" (forgetting to drink enough water and leaving the house with dead back-up batteries) that have created some interesting moments: Fainted during communion and had no less than five EMTs at the service rush to my aid with water bottles. The second time, I had to leave the service -while making hand motions to our pastor- and hook up to the DC power in the car and drive home to get charged batteries. I can assure there isn't a Sunday that I don't enter the church that at least a handful of people ask me if I have drank and brought enough water and have charged batteries in my wheeled backpack that goes with me everywhere. But, the alternative wasn't all that appealing and I often counsel those considering one (noting that nine years ago when I was told it might be an option down the road that I would never walk around with all that equipment and a piece of metal humming in me) that it is worth it and then some. I don't know why others have such difficulty with them, but the vast number that I know at Duke have few difficulties. Just heed any warnings about being very antiseptic when you do the bandage changes. Infection is the one major enemy of LVADs. Brian
Profile picture for user LuckyLouie
Steve H.

I had a Heartmate II implanted 7/16. I was 63 and diagnosed with end stage CHF. It was destination as I was/am also fighting cancer. Like all surgeries, there are risks which your doctors should discuss with you and your husband. In my case, the potential benefits outweighed the risks in my mind. There some in-surgery issues which surgeons resolved, kept me sedated for 3 days. Had a "mild" infection at one of the drain sites, but promptly treated with antibiotics. 2 weeks in Cardiosurgical ICU and step down. Transferred to a rehab unit to regain strength for 2 weeks and then home. Took me 2 months to feel " normal". One of the risks of an LVAD is that it generates heat which can cause blood clots. I got one which caused a heart attack. Pacemaker/defibrillator worked as it was supposed to and LVAD kept pushing blood. Was in hospital 2 weeks on clot busters and then home with increased Coumadin. My VAD team at Northwestern Medicine in Chicago monitored me closely. Ordered a home monitoring unit for testing g INR( blood thickness/clotting #. ) and test weekly. Other than that I am doing ok. May want to ask Dr.about Heartmate III, which has some advantages over the II. I was part of the trial and I THINK the FDA recently approved this for use. Hope this helped . Good luck to you and your husband.
Profile picture for user Ttomack
Tammy T.

My dad was 77 when he had his LVAD surgery May of last year. He also had a defibrillator for the past ten years. At the time of surgery he only had 10% cardiac function. He had a couple of post op complications ( including icu delerium and a femoral bleed). It wasn’t easy but he was out of the hospital and rehab by his birthday in August. His hospital was 1.5 hours away and it was often times hard to encourage my mother to also take care of herself (proper rest, eating right, etc). Since his surgery he has had no drive line infections but several hospitLizations for gi bleeds. Some of the complications of LVAD surgery can be gi bleeds as well as clots. My biggest advice is to make sure that you and your family prepare yourself for your new life. Because realistically, things change. Not to say that you will not be able to do activities or travel but that there will be additional work and equipment in doing so. Daily tasks do increase but look at what you will get in return— time with your loved one. My day passed away 2 weeks ago and we miss the extra work terribly. He did not pass away due to his LVAD complications but had been hospitalized recently with a gi bleed and acquired MRSA in the hospital. Sending my prayers for you all as you embark on this new normal life. Tammy in GA
Profile picture for user klm1569
Kathy C.

Hi Cat, I have not logged on to my lvad for a couple of months now, and your post is tearing at my heart. I understand "beyond word's" how you are feeling! My husband was one of the "unlucky", if you will, recipients of the lvad, but he was more so a victim of the health care system in Canada and lengthy wait times. Stay strong Cat, you have to and BE POSITIVE!!! Sending Love, Prayers, Thoughts and Positive Energy your way.
Profile picture for user cjruth58
Cindy R.

Hello! I would love to give you a positive story. In 2010 I was in heart failure due to a virus, at the age of 50. I was given the LVAD to save my life when my heart completely failed. The surgery is tough, don't get me wrong, but when you look at the alternatives, it is doable, even though it takes a good six months to completely recover. Next I will tell you about my 7 years with the vad. I had an infection after 3 years, was admitted and treated, feeling fine. I was told that once you have an infection, you will always have an infection. I heard it, but didn't understand until Jan of 2017, at 7 years, when the exact same infection returned again. It had attached itself to my vad, because it is non-organic, and remained dormant until then. This time the infection was serious, I had fever and pain. After over a month in the hospital, my entire system was removed and replaced. This was my best chance for extended life, opposed to 1 year left or hospice. The way I was feeling, hospice would have not been long. Anyway, I was truly blessed to have a 3rd chance to live longer. I had 1 grandchild when I first was sick, and now I have 3. I beg that you listen to my warning, INFECTION KILLS AND IS THE GREATEST DANGER (NEXT TO YOUR INR) TO AN LVAD PATIENT. The driveline must be cleaned each and every day, no exception. I had skin irritation issues and scratched too hard as well as delayed cleaning. I hope nobody is in the situation I was in...close to hospice because of stupid laziness, and scratching too hard, all your own fault, all that could have been avoided. So I have recently had my annual, post surgery appt. and am doing well. I change my dressing each and every day, using the sterile method. I scratch my leg instead of my driveline. I drive, cook, clean, just about anything I have the energy for. I wish you and your husband the best. Sincerely, Cindy J. Ruth
Profile picture for user Gary-L

In reply to by Cindy R.

Ruth or Gary L.

My husband became terribly allergic to the clora prep that is in the drive line kit when you change your bandage . That cause itching and a terrible rash. Check it out.
Profile picture for user chiplon

In reply to by Ruth or Gary L.

Chiplon W.

I became very sensitive to the sticks in the packets. So, my physician, Dr. Skipper, had my wife to switch to the liquid Hibiclens and use qtip swabs to clean the areas. Done fantastic and have had no aftereffects from the treatment. I understand that there are several people that can't tolerate the swabs. Just have to use an alternative cleaner.
Profile picture for user mimiatorres

In reply to by Ruth or Gary L.

Myriam T.

I have had me LVAD since June of 2012. I was also very allergic to clora prep. I have been using IODINE packets with 3 swabs and they work perfectly.
Profile picture for user wmckusick
Woodie M.

Hi Pat, LVAD as of 10/11/2017. CHS and only 10% pumping. Bluntly told that it was either LVAD or die within 2 months and be in a whole lot of pain. I went through the process of getting lvad and did get one. Now I'm jumping through the process again to be listed for transplant (I was a smoker until attack so you have to wait 6 months and go through the process again) First and foremost, get to know the clinic, tell them everything, they've heard it before and usually won't yell at you (a stern scolding for me now and then but I'm Scottish and male so it's bound to happen) get to know FB support groups (LVAD WARRIORS, and the misfit one too) see if there is a local FB support group for your hospital. And of course here. always good to know that you are not alone. AND YOU AS CAREGIVER need support too. we as your patients rely on you more than we know sometimes. the good the bad and the ugly. The Good, I'm alive and on the green side. Getting stronger every day and looking so forward to RVing, checking in with LVAD clinics and first responders when stopped. Might even take trip to Hawaii since I've never been there. You shall mend hopefully. The bad, it hurts like hell until you heal. You have a 4lb. ball and chain that you HAVE to remember it is there (like stepping away from the sink while brushing your teeth) some people have trouble sleeping, I just tuck mine behind my back and just relax. Lucky people sleep at least 4 to 5 hours at a clip. get a book, it helps until the next clip. you explain the weird fanny pack hanging off you and the looks you get when you say that the wire goes into you body...oh my. you can't go underwater diving or kayaking (precautions) but you find other hobbies to do. The ugly, the worrying that something "might" happen. there is so many better things in life so stop worrying about the ugly and just enjoy the time you have. I'm sure there is so much more but it does get overwhelming that you think your head is exploding. reach out and you'll be surprised just how many of us will get back to you. I hope along my travels to meet other LVADers and sit around a campfire and shoot the s&^t
Profile picture for user Diwizi
Diane Z.

Lots who have gone through it with our spouse or ourselves.... both if my sons are MD’s, there was a hospital in our hometown, Little Rock, who had been in since the beginning, my husband at 5 bypasses and later a stent, but we never heard of a LVAD until last January while visiting in Tampa.... Even today, there are so many resources out there... my blog, is our day by day from before our LVAD journey, hubby is not transplant eligible, has a heartmate 3 ZeeLarry LVAD I have linked tips and other resources on it.... Prayers.. Diane Ziemski, caregiver for LVADer....
Profile picture for user ubetmom2
Joyce T.

My husband was 69 when he got his Lvad, before that he was very weak and sick. I did not think he would survive the surgery, but thank god he did. I’m sure you and your husband are at that place right now. But I tell you trying to get better with the LVAD is better than the alternative. This may be tough to here but wouldn’t you rather try for s better life and not have to watch your husband struggle with a weak heart. I am glad we did this , Glen as good and bad days. More good than bad. He does not like carting that bag around, but he does. I know you are scared but it sounds like the LVAD is your only hope The doctors and nurses are the best. If you want to talk. Please call us. We live in Las Vegas. My number is 702-722-2220. You call me whenever you want. We had a man by the name of Rick and his lovely wife Susie that came to our room everyday to talk to us and they explained so much to us Glen and I would like to be your Rick and Susan. God bless you both. Joyce
Profile picture for user Janetn
Janet N.

Our NP suggested we alternate the clora prep with betadine when we do our weekly dressing changes. It seems to help. The betadine won't come in your sterile kit though, so be sure you handle it properly when doing a dressing change.
Profile picture for user Janetn
Janet N.

Cat, It's going to take time for your husband to heal, depending (in my opinion) on how active he was prior to the surgery. My husband's congestive heart failure robbed him of his health for about a year so according to our NP his recovery is going to be slow. We have recently met another LVAD patient with a Heartmate II who is 73 or 74, and his heart failure was more sudden, so he had been active right up to the time of his surgery. He looks great, and he's leaving the hospital today (his 12th day after surgery). I think every patient's response is going to be very individual. Take one day at a time, and follow medical advice. I find that if we stick to the NP and doctor's recommendations, they have an easier time figuring out a solution to any problem that may come up.
Profile picture for user Cat Shaw
Cat S.

This group is amazing and I appreciate all of the responses both good and bad. My husband Ed is having the LVAD surgery on 4/24/18. It seems like the idea of the surgery was just last week and now that it's a reality we are just trying to stay positive about it. Ed has always been a"glass half full" kind of man and we have a saying that"soap is to the body as laughter is to rhe soul". We live that attitude every day. Our surgeon is a true empath and we have much confidence in him and the team. I suppose it's just the not knowing truly what to expect until it happens. It's as if we're on a fence, scared *hitless on one side and anticipating a better life on the other. I can't thank you guys enough for all the responses and I will keep you updated on the progress. - Cat and Ed
Profile picture for user Kevin_Smith
Kevin S.

Although my LVAD implant was a bridge to transplant I have made several destination friends in the 8 plus years since my implant. Our longest destination at Methodist in Indy is nearing nine years out and she's doing well, another gentleman is right at 8 years and running strong. Life is precious, Extra life even more so, not all implants have long and happy endings, it's a risk no different than any major surgery, if the LVAD is the only chance to extend life it's a no brainier in my opinion, should this become my only option in the future i'd go for it again knowing all the risks involved.
Profile picture for user Donco7
William W.

Cat, M name is Bill Waddle and I am just 100 days out from the implant. I have the heartmate III. I was admitted to the Richmond VA on the 7 Feb 2018. I went in with a 20% ejection number and in bad shape. I had lost 42 pounds and breathing was difficult too. I actually did not think I was that bad. Well Doc talked to me for a few minutes and said I was symptomatic could I tell him what was going on. After I told him he said I am admitting you right now. I was admitted and then had a surgery on a hernia that had happened due to the condition and medicines, this is why I thought I was here in the first place. After the one surgery I too had to go thru the hoops it wasn't that hard. My LVAD coordinator, Lisa, god love her, looked at me in the midst of it all and said "Bill I have people come to me and want the LVAD yesterday, you come to me and have nothing but questions, I would rather give it to you". I had a DNR/DNA on me but that had to be dealt with. We are putting a machine in you to keep you alive. With that said and the 6 months to a year to live I had to make a decision. They fixed my Aorta and installed the LVAD. Since then I have gained 20lbs and my quality of life is there too. Yes I continue to have gout attacks and my blood does not want to get thin enough. I have been rototilling and planting a garden. Home improvement and everything else too. I wont tell you that its all good, for me yes, but others in the hospital that went in before me were still there. I am riding my motorcycle again and can eat what I want. The little things in life, I mean the little things, are much appreciated again. I live by myself and do just peachy. Having someone there, you, should make it that much easier. If you would like to get ahold of my Facebook account is Bill Waddle. I would love to give back what I can to those who want it. Hope this has helped and wish you and yours the best, Bill
Profile picture for user Donco7
William W.

Cat, My name is Bill Waddle and I am just 100 days out from the implant. I have the heartmate III. I was admitted to the Richmond VA on the 7 Feb 2018. I went in with a 20% ejection number and in bad shape. I had lost 42 pounds and breathing was difficult too. I actually did not think I was that bad. Well Doc talked to me for a few minutes and said I was symptomatic could I tell him what was going on. After I told him he said I am admitting you right now. I was admitted and then had a surgery on a hernia that had happened due to the condition and medicines, this is why I thought I was here in the first place. After the one surgery I too had to go thru the hoops it wasn't that hard. My LVAD coordinator, Lisa, god love her, looked at me in the midst of it all and said "Bill I have people come to me and want the LVAD yesterday, you come to me and have nothing but questions, I would rather give it to you". I had a DNR/DNA on me but that had to be dealt with. We are putting a machine in you to keep you alive. With that said and the 6 months to a year to live I had to make a decision. They fixed my Aorta and installed the LVAD. Since then I have gained 20lbs and my quality of life is there too. Yes I continue to have gout attacks and my blood does not want to get thin enough. I have been rototilling and planting a garden. Home improvement and everything else too. I wont tell you that its all good, for me yes, but others in the hospital that went in before me were still there. I am riding my motorcycle again and can eat what I want. The little things in life, I mean the little things, are much appreciated again. I live by myself and do just peachy. Having someone there, you, should make it that much easier. If you would like to get ahold of my Facebook account is Bill Waddle. I would love to give back what I can to those who want it. Hope this has helped and wish you and yours the best, Bill
Profile picture for user lazorbeam
Jose N.

Hi Cat. Like most here, I don't check in very often, and I forgot I had an account here for a long time. Anyway, I can tell you that the recovery process is not as hard as it seems. I had mine in 2014 and before I could not step up on a curb or get off the couch. After I shed over 60 pounds in water weight and could walk within 2 days. Now I'll admit, I'm 34 this year so I did have youth on my side but the recovery process is fairly simple. Mine, I was only restricted from bending over, sleeping on my side or driving (which I didn't worry about since I didn't get my licence until last year). If his would be the same as mine, they start off a bit, I believe 2 or 3 weeks with light exercise like walking as far as you can then increase it gently as you heal. He won't be able to shower until the incision heals and to get into bed he will have to have help. For me it was sit on the bed, swing my legs up, cross my arms and lie down. No pulling or pushing yourself up or down until you're cleared by the surgeon. I hope he can get it.
Profile picture for user Suzypemb
Susan P.

My Husband is having the LVAD fitted in the next two weeks and I’m looking for a discreet back pack for him to wear when he goes back to work as having the batteries stored by his side might restrict his movements. Anyone know of any websites please?
Profile picture for user lazorbeam

In reply to by Susan P.

Jose N.

A backpack might not be his best option. The wires are too short to reach around you, perhaps a fanny pack could be an option until you find something to use? I've heart tactical undershirts are an option or if you can sew, one member here is offering patters for a vest type sling.
Profile picture for user RLF47

In reply to by Susan P.

Ralph F.

Hi there, I have had the HM III , actually on the second one, for 4 plus years now. I am an avid fly fisher and needed something lighter than a back pack an had more body support than the straps on the shoulders. So I searched for a fanny pack with hip support belt and shoulder straps. The shoulder straps did not suit me so Charolette took my old padded shoulder straps and sewed then in place of the others. Comfy! The fanny pack, like the shower bag is water resistant and i had an old black shoulder bag with a bad zipper. So we cut out tbe controller pocket and battery pockets and incorporated that into the new fanny pack. The whole thing is smaller than a back pack and when I am out in the water with fly rod in hand, I now do not tire from an ill fitting pack. God bless and remember, we own this marvel of life, it does not own us. Grin Ralph Fullenwider in Oklahoma
Profile picture for user Brent

In reply to by Susan P.

Brenton L.

I'm Brent from the LVAD Gear company and we make a back pack that I feel confident will work. We also have a 100% guarantee if he don't like it. We also have shirts, vests, and an assortment of other items to help make LVAD life easier. Check out the website, if you have questions contact me from there. I don't check this very often.
Profile picture for user rlouis1439
ron l.

I am 70 yrs. old (male) and in early stages of chf. Still active and exercise. No real symptoms to speak of yet. But I know they're coming. It's been 11 yrs. since I had a massive HA. The advancements in technology and medicine are coming at breakneck speed. I followed the progress of a gentleman in MN who received a HM 2 @ age 71 and had it for 12 yrs. A young lady in her late 30s, I want to say, is getting close to 9 yrs. She's decided against a transplant because of her QOL, and also because advances are coming so fast. She is an LVAD nurse. You can google "20 yrs. of the Heartmate 2".
Profile picture for user willbapple
Willie A.

I would think changing a dressing everyday will risk a drive line infection based on the fact your are exposing the site everyday to germs. No it is not a good idea to change dressing each day. I am sorry to hear about your infections and the thought of another one scare you, and maybe you are over reacting. Do your VAD team know that you are dressing changing everyday? Unless you have situation that warrant a dressing change daily until the problem is resolved; dressing change on a daily basis is not necessary.
Profile picture for user bfast
Brian F.


You are not alone, I was terrified of making a change so grand.  I had accepted the fact that I was done and was ready to say adios to my family and to move on the next big thing.  

Once i heard about the LVAD I was encouraged but had so many unanswered questions.  Everyone was great and so positive, from patients to doctors, nurses etc. It was a tough decision for me but I’m so happy I chose to do it.  All of my biggest fears turned out to be the smallest concerns in the end.  I returned to a full....ish life with my family, grandkids, and even returned to work.  I had a great support system in my wife and kids for appts, therapy etc.  Eventually did the dressing changes myself.  Be not afraid for I am with you.  

Profile picture for user talia1baby
mike d.

hello madem x. my name is mike davenport i live in elgin il. have the alvad for 2 plus years no problems. i change the dressing thats the wet  dressing chge, onca a week. soak da shower head in a week salution of bleach before da shower to keep the pugs hideing the head clean. hows that exercising program cumming along? 20 min every day? i got it. do not panic about the device in the chest. its a life saver due to modern science. watch out for the drive line, this is were infection has a field day. keep soaking the shower head and xit will be o.k. some people like to just take there shower no problem,,,really not smart. you will hear about the war stories of other people and the drive line issues.  keep YOURS clean and don't forget da drugs to keep it moving if you know what i mean. i'am trying to get a transplant too, lots of re buffing, still waiting to just get on the list. will hear somthing this november to see whats up with that. keep praying and beinf healthy to you or  da other. i'am a drunk to bine on the aa progran 35 years and no need to drink. figure that out. i'am in the phone book . have a good day. me.

Profile picture for user coachwert
Duane W.

Its been 3 yrs since i had to have a Lvad. am on my 2nd one something happen to first one in 12/5/2016.  I live as if i don't have a Lvad, I work my business full time every day. I do the worst Job  you can think of having a Lvad. I do septic business am around raw sewage everyday. I have not had a infection yet. March of 2019 will be 4 yrs. God willing. LIVING AND LOVING LIFE. Be Happy Don't Worry.:)