Profile picture for user kimelliott
Kim E. Medical Professional

Cardiac Rehab

Hello everyone!

As a cardiac rehab nurse supervisor I want you to know nurses understand your journey from heart failure - meds- hospitalizations and decreased quality of life leading to decision of LVAD. Cardiac rehabs can help you in your recovery we monitor you and we help you regain your muscle strength and support you all the way. Please talk to your doctor about joining a cardiac rehab. In 2010 medicare approved cardiac rehab coverage for heart failure patients with ejection fraction below 35%. Hope this helps! Cardiac rehabs are there to help you and your loved ones in your recovery. We are ready for you to join us! To find a center call your local hospital or look on the AACVPR - American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation.

Profile picture for user john m.
John m. M.

To Kim e. Or any other rehab R.N.

LOOKING for info before I take the "dive". Unfortunatly I'm NOT able to doing anything but medical management.  I'm now 2 weeks without a hospital admission 5 of 8 weeks was long enough. Keep up the FINE WORK. 

Profile picture for user Mariza

In reply to by John m. M.

Mariza M.

I’ve been doing rehab twice a week in the last two years. My first year and half with Heartmate two were very difficult, with several readmissions to the hospital. I had even to change the pump after 4 months of implantation! I spend about one hour and half in the rehab section. I’m not allowed to perform exercises for chest or abdomen, but I can run 30 min in the treadmill and do some exercises of force for arms and legs. All the exercises are orientated by a physician, physiotherapist and physical education teacher. 

Profile picture for user Mariza

In reply to by John m. M.

Mariza M.

I’ve been doing rehab twice a week in the last two years. My first year and half with Heartmate two were very difficult, with several readmissions to the hospital. I had even to change the pump after 4 months of implantation! I spend about one hour and half in the rehab section. I’m not allowed to perform exercises for chest or abdomen, but I can run 30 min in the treadmill and do some exercises of force for arms and legs. All the exercises are orientated by a physician, physiotherapist and physical education teacher. 

Profile picture for user 12dhatche
Donald H.

I attend cardiac rehab 3 days week. Has increased strength & activity level tremendously. My vitals are monitored while exercising on treadmill, bike, ...... Also, I use the 511 holster shirt fo batteries & Fanny-pac for controller...

Profile picture for user 12dhatche
Donald H.

I attend cardiac rehab 3 days week. Has increased strength & activity level tremendously. My vitals are monitored while exercising on treadmill, bike, ...... Also, I use the 511 holster shirt fo batteries & Fanny-pac for controller...

Profile picture for user rshooker@hotmail.com
Ray H.

For me, Cardiac Rehab was a Godsend.  When I started after my LVAD, I was pushing my rollator and carrying my oxygen with me.  The nurse and therapists hooked me up and started me slowly, encouraging me all the way but also being very sensitive to my moods.  When I was feeling like I couldn't do it, one would come and stand by whatever machine I was on and talk me through it.  When I finished with rehab, I was no longer using a rollator (or cane), no longer using oxygen, and I could easily walk a mile on the treadmill and a mile on the Nu-step.  I followed up by joining the YMCA and working out there with the same equipment.  I stop by every once in a while to visit with the rehab nurse who took such good care of me.  What a caring soul!!  Thank you Renee!

Profile picture for user EECP
William S.

I'll recommend EECP Enhanced External Counterpulsation and Cardiac Rehab before you get an LVAD or EECP & Cardiac Rehab after transplant.. see EECP.com

Profile picture for user edmund36
Edmund J.

My history includes HTN, MR, AI, and now mod diastolic heart failure 2nd to overweight and HTN . BMI = 36. I am waiting on a rehab program, but I may not qualify; the guidelines are systolic failure such as CHF. I am dieting aggressively, but would like help with salt restriction eating as well as optimum exercise training. Being on 3 HTN meds my heart rate does not really rise up, si using the % goal increase won't work here. I am seeking the best heart workout without over or under doing it? What are your thoughts on guidelines and desired exercise goal?