Profile picture for user Dyala
Dyala A. Family Member

Help me please

Please i need your help? Im a caregiver and my husband had his L-vad one year back.

My question is about tanning.

Can he tan under the sun (no pool) in our yard, or at least do solarium bed tanning?

Please i need your help, i tried to contact L-vad team but mo reply.

Profile picture for user Stkneis
Sharon K.

Be careful of the medications he takes.  Some cause burning in the sun.  Unfortunately, we found out the hard way.

Profile picture for user Larry in W-S
Larry N.

This is a good question for your LVAD Team. They will be familiar with his medications and how sensitive they make him. I’ve been advised to cover up.

In reply to by Larry N.

Dyala A.

I spoke to his team but unfortunately they dont have a clear answer relared to tanning or solarium tanning beds 

They even emailed the heart mate company but till now no reply.

I even contacted them since over 8 months and no reply 

Thats why i placed my question here if any one have a clear answer.

And regarding his medication thank god nothing is affecting him under the sun

Profile picture for user Yuki1559

In reply to by Dyala A.

Ron B.

Hi Dyala, I have been an lvad patient for over 2 years and have tanned both in hot Florida sun as well in Chicago summers. I am on all the typical heart patient meds and have the heart ware system. I did get approval through my lvad team before I proceeded so I was able to feel comfortable. I just cover the box and the driveline site so they don’t overheat and spray down with a little water on my arms and head. Before you know it he’ll have a tan just like pre lvad! I would highly recommend SPF 20-30 so he’s protectected but the tan still comes, just takes longer but also lasts longer. Good luck! Are you from Florida?

In reply to by Ron B.

Dyala A.

Hello Ron, im so happy you took your time reading and replying to my question.

We live in United Arab Emirates im the middle east.

My husband loves to tan, and unfortunately after having his heart mate 3, it was so difficult and scary for him to tan, specially we didnt have a clear answer from his medical team.

Can you please share with us where you keep the device (the controller) in, and the drive line, and if you have any idea about the solarium tanning bed, if its safe to use them.

Note that he have a Crtd ( type of a pacemaker) and it was totally fine to him to tan and use the solarium tanning bed.

Kindly ask your medical team since they can help and answer your questions related to tanning.

Much appreciated.

Profile picture for user Yuki1559

In reply to by Dyala A.

Ron B.

I have a pacemaker as well and have tanned with no issues. I have never used a tanning bed and think this may be pushing the boundaries with having all of this gear on us. I will ask my team of professionals for their opinion. Talk soon,stay healthy!

Profile picture for user shortstp78

In reply to by Ron B.

Juanita P.

I've had the LVAD for 5.5 years now, and cutting my grass out in the yard, I get very tan.  No problems here.  Medication if sun sensitive be careful, but talk to your team and read any side effects...

Profile picture for user Cherrell Thomas

In reply to by Dyala A.

Cherrell T.

You should be able to call the pharmacists who dispensed his meds! We rely on ours for alot of questions, even ones the lvads can't answer! 

Profile picture for user Larry in W-S
Larry N.

This is a good question for your LVAD Team. They will be familiar with his medications and how sensitive they make him. I’ve been advised to cover up.

Profile picture for user Steven Hood
Steven H.

My Coordinator made clear to me to wear sunscreen, long sleeve and hat when outside. 
If on steroid it increases chance of skin cancer.