Profile picture for user Meianna
Tonya E. Recipient

Thunder and lighting storms...

Hey good evening have a question....whats the protocol for being on wall power when its thundering and lightning? I know we cant be plugged into a surge protector , we are suppose to be plugged directly into the wall ? Right? I can't  seem to find the answer. If anyone has the answer or suggestions  i would greatly appreciate. Every time its storming outside when its bed time,my nerves gets razzled,frazzled and fried thanks for all the help and answers.

Tonya

Profile picture for user B.r. Lee
Billy L.

Truthfully Tonya I never use my wall power supply but can tell you that you have nothing to worry about. The box between your wall plug and your connection plug is a surge protector in that it will trip off before allowing an overflow of power through. 

Profile picture for user Steven Hood
Steven H.

Not sure if there is a protocol. 
When storms like that I always  switched to battery’s. 
I just wasn’t going to risk it

Profile picture for user angiekenly
Angie K.

Hi Tonya, my husband is on his 3rd year as an LVAD patient.  I personally get nervous, too, but our LVAD system has a 30 minute internal battery back up.  The electricity went out during the night, and the internal battery worked.  We just switched him over to batteries until the electricity came back on.  Be sure and do the tests each day.  

Profile picture for user Cherrell Thomas
Cherrell T.

When we talked with our LVAD team we asked if we could use surge protectors! They thought that was a great idea. Our power goes out often here. 

Profile picture for user littledoll
Amy K.

It’s scary to say the least. We had an all house surg protector installed before he came home. He goes to bed as usual but have flash lights and batteries by the bedside Incase of power outage. 

Profile picture for user Stan_C
Stan C.

Don't know there is actually a protocol but have heard recommendations about staying on batteries at night during storms but I personally do not.  Should power go out for any length of time the wall unit will go off and no one can sleep through it.  I do sit up and give it a few minutes to make sure power does come back on.  However, I do recommend you get a battery powered camp lantern to keep by your bed just in case so you can see if you should need to go on batteries.

Profile picture for user Wildflower
Lisa J.

I use batteries.   Not fun waking up to the sound from the unit that power if off.   

Profile picture for user jm1963ga@att.net
Jerome M.

I have used both methods. The electric and my batteries if the storm is real bad. I do have a whole house generator on natural gas now. This would eliminate outages. Lightning strikes affecting the home are rare. Your confidence and comfort is most important and you should do what you feel comfortable and confident with doing.

Profile picture for user Meianna
Tonya E.

I would llike to thank everyone for thier input.  I really appreciate it. I know my daughter will definately appreciate  the input. Her and i both get real nervous during storms. So once again thank you.

Profile picture for user Cindy
Cindy R.

Hi Tonya,

Sorry I'm a little late, but I agree with Steve H.  When storms are in the area, it is not worth taking a chance, and I always switch to batteries.  We have no automatic generator, and it gets super dark with no power where we live.  It is so much harder, and stressful to switch to batteries in the dark with alarms blaring.

Best of luck!

Cindy 

Profile picture for user Boulady
Pam J.

I am so surprised to see how many people use the wall outlet since my husband has never ever used wall power in the 3 years he’s had his LVAD.  Is this something that you all were instructed to do, or a personal decision?

Profile picture for user Boulady
Pam J.

I am so surprised to see how many people use the wall outlet since my husband has never ever used wall power in the 3 years he’s had his LVAD.  Is this something that you all were instructed to do, or a personal decision?

Profile picture for user Cindy

In reply to by Pam J.

Cindy R.

Hello Pam J,

I have had my LVAD for 10 years, and the wall outlet was used to read the numbers of the older LVADs, and was the safe way to nap and sleep.  I accepted it as a safe and more comfortable way to sleep.  I did recently have some issues with the wall outlet cables, so I am curious as to why your husband does not consider it.  Please reply.

Sincerely,

Cindy J.

Profile picture for user Deb218
Deborah C.

We live in Florida so thunderstorms and hurricanes are issues. several years ago our power was out for 2 days due to a hurricane. Our address was registered with the power company and they notified us before each storm. We were listed as one of the first to need power restored before others. I had a neighbor charge the batteries when the power did not come on soon enough as we could not get our generator to run. Check your neighbors with generators for an emergency. Our doctors were excellent in making sure the power company and the fire comppany knew thee was an L-Vad patient here.

Profile picture for user Larry in W-S
Larry N.

The "official" name for the AC/wall unit is the Mobile Power Unit. The HM 3 Patient Handbook page 78 states the MPU "Powers the system when you are sleeping or relaxing indoors." Page 79 has a Warning to "Always connect to the MPU when sleeping, or when there is a chance of sleep. The system alarms may not be heard when asleep, resulting in injury or death." From personal experience, I can attest that the low battery alarm from the controller is not particularly loud, and is easily mistaken for the numerous beeps and alerts from other electronic devices. NO ONE will miss the alarm from the MPU if you're connected to it when power goes off! Plus, I like having all eight batteries fully charged a few hours after I switch to the MPU at night. I keep one set  of batteries with clips installed and ready to go on the night stand next to the bed, along with a flashlight.There's no need to panic if power goes off while you're sleeping - other than being roused from a sound sleep by an incredibly loud noise. You are not going to sleep through it, and you will have plenty of time to connect the batteries - carefully, so you don't inadvertently bend a pin. I also notified the power company, and I get a text from them whenever they anticipate power may go off, and the local fire station to be sure that I can go there for a recharge if power is off long enough to use up all my charged batteries.