Profile picture for user Kim Biondo
Kim B. Caregiver

HOMEMADE LVAD SHIRTS

I asked my husband who has a Heartmate 3 to dig out ten old t shirts he will still wear. THis is all he used to wear so he is comfortable in them. Then I got donations of old t shirts from our children and cut them up to make pockets to go on his old t shirts. I sew two pockets under the arms and one in the middle but over to one side to allow for the Hollister. Each pocket has a velcro closing at the top. He just slides his batteries and monitor into these pockets and is comfortable. When we go out he wears another shirt over this t shirt. if you know someone who sews have them look at the design on the LVAD T SHIRTS and copy that layout. He has ten shirts to rotate. I have made a couple of the shirts with flannel pockets for more stiffness for the batteries and to put an extra layer between skin and battery as they put off heat.

Profile picture for user NancySmith
Craig S.

Do you have a picture of the t shirts that you made?  My husband has had his lvad for 5 years and more recently he has been uncomfortable with the ones that we have purchased.  It gives him back aches so I think I need to custom make his lvad gear.  He has a Heartmate 3.  This is a few months after you posted so I am not sure you will see this but thank you in advance for posting some pics.  Nancy

Profile picture for user Kim Biondo
Kim B.

I changed the 'pattern' for the way my husband wanted the pockets placed on his tshirts. I had placed them in the front and his back started to hurt, so now I have moved the pockets so they are more in the back...but don't restrict him sitting. I would be glad to share with anyone who would like a more comfortable option for their LVAD. My husband has a HEARTMATE III, but I believe this can be used by different models. Please feel free to email me at kimbiondo60@gmail.com and I can send you this pattern/drawing I have created. IF you do not sew, I would be glad to make one and ship it to see if this works better for you. I will just need the patients T shirt size.