Profile picture for user MyLVAD_2
MyLVAD A. Caregiver

Utah Man Fitted with Waterproof Heart Pump

A patient in Utah, who lives with a form of muscular dystrophy, gets special approval from the FDA for an essentially waterproof heart pump that exits behind his left ear. In Europe similar procedures have been done dozens of times, but this 54-year-old man becomes the first person in North America to be fitted with a device such as this.

See full article and video here

What type of advancements out there do you forsee transforming the LVAD industry?

Profile picture for user LVAD_Friend
Nate W.

That is an inspiring story! I am very excited about the promise of wireless LVAD's. Although I am not a LVAD patient myself, I know a number of LVAD patients through my profession, and removing the need for batteries and drivelines seems like a real game changer.

To quote the article below, Their wireless alternative is powered by induction rather than batteries, so that recipients can wear a small transmitter in a vest or other external garment, which communicates with the receiver that is implanted in the heart. Without a driveline connecting an external battery to the heart, patients? risk of infection would drop dramatically, as would the other problems associated with current LVADS.

Look here

I'd be interested in hearing what other patients and loved ones think, though.

Profile picture for user Melody_Tippett
Melody T.

Great article! The technology is amazing. My husband misses swimming so much. As a caregiver, the thought of not worrying about the driveline would be a big relief. There would be no dressing changes after showers and no concern about infection. In addition, he would not be getting his driveline caught on door knobs or draw handles! I am thankful for the technology he has now as he is not in a hospital as many early LVAD patient had to be due to the size of the VAD.

Profile picture for user Kimi
DaKeia W.

The day that a wireless LVAD is produced and ready for implant would be a HUGE step! Especially a big breakthrough for those of is with high count antibodies whose chances of being transplanted are slim. I'm sure the caretakers also have been reminded on more than one occasion that the driveline is the biggest hangup. Can someone shed any light on how far along this is in the making?