Profile picture for user MyLVAD_2
MyLVAD A. Caregiver

My Story: Joyce

Joyce, HeartMate II since Aug ?10

Earlier this year I flew to San Antonio, Texas for vacation with my sister, Deb. It was my first time flying since I had my LVAD surgery last year in August. My LVAD coordinators reassured me that everything should be okay, but I was still concerned.

My LVAD team gave me instructions along with a letter to give to security when we had to go through the checkpoint. To my surprise everything went very smoothly. We flew on Southwest Airlines and the staff was great. When we arrived at the airport they got a wheelchair for me and they checked our luggage for us. Debby and I did not have to wait in any lines they wheeled me ahead of everyone and were very careful when they had look at my LVAD equipment in the case and had to pat me down since I could not go through the metal detector. Deb and I also were able to board early since I had my LVAD. We had a wonderful time visiting our other sister in Texas and no problems at all.

The Southwest Airlines agents in Texas were just as nice as the agents in Maryland and gave us the same great customer service. The vacation was really great and I am very happy that I did not let my fear of having my LVAD stop me from traveling.

More travel stories:

My Story: Joe and Nancy

My Story: Tim