Profile picture for user Shannon
shannon j. Caregiver

Travel Insurance with an LVAD from http://ourlifeourlovehislvad.blogspot.com/

Jason and I took the kids to North Carolina last year for our Summer Vacation. Jason decided then that he wanted to make a tradition to stay at the same house every year for our family Vacation. Even though he would not be able to get in the water this year, he still didn?t want the kids to miss out. I was definitely getting the Insurance this year just in case we got the ?Jason come get your heart? call during our vacation.

I called to make sure that we would get a portion of our money back if the ?special? call came in. The rental company sent me to the insurance company that they use. I explained Jason?s situation and then I was told they would not cover that because it?s pre- existing. I don?t want to get the company name out because I don?t want to get in trouble, but this really gets under my skin. Death is one of the things they do cover. I asked her why they cover death, and just like I thought she said? because no one knows when they are going to die.? Then I said, ?Well no one knows when Jason?s ?special? call will come in either.? She really didn?t know what to say to that.

She proceeded to tell me that I should care about the money, if the ?special? call comes in. Well, I?ll tell you why, (and I didn?t say this) because getting a nice vacation house for a week is expensive, and If she thinks I shouldn?t worry about, than why are they worried about giving us our money back??

Maybe they really haven?t had much experience with people that are awaiting a transplant that?s all I can guess. I did let her know that I knew if wasn?t her fault, that it just makes me sad that we can?t stay in the same place this year. She understood and we wished each other a Merry Christmas (well she said Happy Holidays..grrr) and then hung up.

There still is good news here though?I found a company that would cover us! They are called travel guard, and I will add the cost is very reasonable. Now there are a few conditions with having the pre-existing policy with them, but nothing really to get worked up over. You do have to get a note from your doctor saying that it is safe for you to be traveling (which is good anyways). So there is still hope, you can go on a wonderful Vacation with your family. Now the only thing you?ll have to think about losing when that ?special? call comes in?is your LVAD, and that?s a good thing!