Profile picture for user Anonymous
Anonymous

My LVAD story

On August 24, 2011, my life was changed forever when I had LVAD surgery. My story is one that started in 2000 when I found out I had breast cancer and had chemo treatments. The chemo killed my cancer, which was good, but damaged my heart, which was bad.

After seeing many doctors and many hospital visits, I was recommended to Oklahoma City, OK, Integris Hospital's Advanced Cardiac Care, transplant and LVAD center, and into the loving arms of Dr. Horstmanshof and Dr. Long. Without these two outstanding doctors I have no doubt I would not be here today. I put my terrible life, as it was then, into their wonderful hands. Wow, what a difference my life is now. I cannot explain how wonderful these people are and how great their staff is. They work like a fined-tooth comb with a touch from God.

It's hard to explain how much better I feel and the improvement in quality of my life.

Yes, you have to wear a mechanical device and yes there are some limits in what you can do, but not much. Life is what you make it and the LVAD makes your life pretty darn good.

So, those of you out there who haven't decided on the LVAD and if your doctor recomends it, DO IT!

For those of you who have just had your LVAD put in, embrace it, and know that every day it gets better and better.

Before the LVAD I was not even half a person and now LVAD has made me whole.

I get excited when I'm asked about my LVAD because I get to talk about my great experience with it. I heard a man the other day say to his wife, "boy she really likes that thing!" and he's not wrong, I really do.

Profile picture for user Keith_Tippett
Keith T.

What a wonderful story! I'm so glad that you were referred to the right doctors. My father was introduced to the LVAD by being referred to the right hospital. The LVAD is an amazing invention. As a caregiver I was very proud that my Father had an LVAD and gave us all the opportunity for a second chance together as a family.

Good luck with your continued LVAD Success!