Profile picture for user Teri_Kelley
Teri K. Caregiver

Sweating and lvad dressing

Has anyone solved the problem of excessive sweating loosening the driveline dressing? Whenever my husband works outside when it is hot, he sweats so much that his driveline dressing loosens. I can't change the dressing more than once a day,but he sweats so much it is loose within 30 minutes of being outside. Don't want him to get an infection, but telling him he can't work outside would be like telling him he can't walk anymore. Hoping someone can help.

Profile picture for user Teri_Kelley
Teri K.

Thanks for posting, Hope. Using the skin prep all along. But we have solved the problem. We just wrap him in an ace bandage, like a binder. So far,so good. A little warm at times, but seems to work for now! Still looking for more solutions, but will take what we can get for now! Thanks

Profile picture for user feltingfool
Andrea M.

Hi Teri,

I see ya'll are wrapping him in an ace bandage... as a recipient (and a gal who sweats when I workout) I imagine that's a little uncomfortable at times!

What kind of tape do you guys use for his dressing? I use Medipore from 3M corporation and also use the skin prep stuff first (make sure it dries completely before taping, if it isn't dry it doesn't work). The Medipore tape works for me and I sweat like crazy. I have problems with most other tape/ adhesives not sticking very well at all.

If you're already using the Medipore tape, my only other suggestion would be to look for a lighter material to wrap him in.

Good luck to you both!