Profile picture for user haim_brown
Haim B. Family Member

Wireless charging batteries?

Idea came to my mind \ Question Was now a possibility to charge the cell phone wireless recharge .... Has anyone heard or know is there such a development for a lvad? The idea is that the batteries run out quickly (like iPhone) and now the load out Without wires. Would be nice to see it as the next generation of artificial heart. Interesting is not it!?!?!?

Profile picture for user Fortunatecookie
Keith B.

My LVAD was implanted at the Royal Brompton & Harefield Hospital (Uxbridge, England)and a member of the LVAD team at the hospital mentioned that some trials had been conducted with Wi-Fi battery charging through the skin. However, the result was severe burning to the skin. Fortunately the experiment was not carried out on a live patient. It would be a great leap forward and could result in LVAD's being a permanent installation rather than a stop-gap to transplant. Unfortunately, not much use to current recipients.

Profile picture for user Radon
Mike L.

I heard the same from my surgeon, wireless battery charging,etc. But it will be a while before it goes to human testing. I was hoping for at least a Bluetooth firmware update to my heartware so I could track my flows and battery charge with my phone while I have it in my backpack. :)

Mike