Profile picture for user hope
sheila k. Caregiver

Worried

Starting to see more redness around the driveline site, drainage remains yellow serrous. But with my husband starting to move and exercise more, think there is more tension on the line. I have tried to stablelize it, but I am not able to check it every time he is up and about. I have stressed to him the importance of making sure it remains stable, but I am not sure if he really pays attention. No temp, but am worried, it is only a matter of time, before infection. Loosing his short term dissabilty oct 6th, another big headache and cobra. Just want to know how you can keep things going. Thanks for listening. Sees his Lvad team on monday, but will call if things get worse.

Profile picture for user ThomasMartin
Thomas M.

You have good reason to be concerned. I would take him back to the doctor and get the drive line checked immediately. They may be able to head off a more serious infection now. Ask your doctor's office for help getting on long-term disability or even permanent disability. You may need to also talk to a lawyer. It is worth it to move this forward. The healing takes time and neither of you need this stress in your lives.

sheila k.

Talked with the Lvad team today, they said it might be from his exercise and the irritaion from the increase friction of the drive line. I appreciate you following his care when I have questions.....Not easy. Do you still have the Lvad or did you get a transplant? Just thought I would ask,you seem to know so much about lvad patients. Very informative. Stay healthy!!

sheila k.

Erin, No, he has been using what the heartmate supplied to him for now. Have looked into ordering, but haven't as of yet. Would the hollister help? Since I first posted, he is looking better, but there are days when I can see some irritation. Let me know where you have purchased one. And if it better secures the driveline. Thanks!!! Hope