Profile picture for user aviva
Alyssa F. Family Member

Fluid retention

My dad is about two and a half months post op from getting the vad, and he is still in the hospital. Right now our biggest hurdle is fluid retention, it is really bad. His kidneys are fine, thank goodness, but the medical staff doesn't know what they can do to get some of the fluid off. They are going to try diuretics. Has anyone out there had fluid retention after the vad? What helped? Hopefully he will be discharged later next week, but he will have to have next to no liquid. Thanks, aviva

Profile picture for user joann_heller
Joann H.

Mom had same problem and they changed her diaretics to Bumex and also did a lot of med tweeking. They have to do this slowly so the kidneys aren't affected. It took some time but she eventually got the fluid off and the more active she has gotten it is better. Watch the sodium intake like a hawk too. Good Luck

Lisa

Profile picture for user aviva
Alyssa F.

thanks. They were going to start him on Bumex today. I hope we also get a positive result, as right now he feels that his legs are weights. I will also suggest that he speak to his doctors about his meds that may be affecting this too. This was really helpful. He is getting very little sodium, if any, as he is in the hospital on their diet. Thanks again, Alyssa

Profile picture for user ken_berger
Ken B.

Diet is one of the best ways to keep your platelets close to normal. Dr was talking about starting transfusions so I looked on line for a natural cure. I found that tomato and turmeric smoothes helped, You have to be your own judge of what works best. We all know that leafy green vegies mess with you blood but there are so many other things that are way worse , ANY ALCOHOL will totally mess with your blood ALOT!! Ginger spice is also really bad also.. Now for the really crappy news water retention can be caused by a leaky aortic valve. The university of Chicago started using a percutaneous closure device to close the valve on me and it has been 18 months so far so good. But I'm getting extra help I packed my control mod and batteries in triple garbage bags and did a full emersion baptism!!! Hey you have to ask for his help, but that's just me.. I been living with this for 2 1/2 years and I have had a lot of scary times but I'm trying for at least 5 years (nothing better to do I guess) The wife jumped ship 9 months ago, Too much for her but I'm doing good I take care of my self keep the phone close at all times, I even have a apartment on the 2nd floor so I get a little extra exercise when doing food shopping and laundry. This lvad is rough, but I did take my grandson fishing for the first time made it all worth while. As far as the water retention before getting the valve closed I went from 190 all the way to 267 lbs. To everyone out there god bless and all my love and strength I SHARE WITH YOU!!