Profile picture for user Jilliandspot
Jillian B. Family Member

Dads new LVAD

My dad (64) had no health problems up until feb 19 when he has a massive heart attack and ended up at Columbia Presbyterian with a right and left Centrimag bi Vad. His right side recovered and he underwent surgery for his l Vad march 4. He is finally on the road to recovery after a few infections and trips to CTICU. He also suffered a small stoke during one of his surgeries and has vision problems and a small short term memory concern. He now has glasses (both reading and distance) and from my perspective his short term memory is no different from before the heart attack. He and my mom (highs school sweet hearts who will be celebrating their 43rd wedding anniversary this spring) have had ALOT thrown at them over the last 6 weeks.

My parents are both very intelligent and very over whelmed. They are great at changing power sources and bandages in the hospital with the supervision of the staff. They know exactly what they are doing. My dads only interaction with other LVAD patients has been his roommate who is in the same shoes as my dad and another younger man who has had a lot of issues with his Vad.

As far as their personal life, my dad is retired and my mom was planning on retiring this coming winter. They are concerned about so many things including health insurance, out of pocket expenses, their home life etc, etc, etc...

If anyone has some encouraging words, advise, etc. we would greatly appreciate it!!!

Sending out lots of good vibes to all who are living with an LVad!

Jillian

Profile picture for user lisa_mandell
Lisa M.

My father is 63 and had is LVAD surgery last September after a major delay in treatment of a heart attack in March. He is currently on the heart transplant list at Columbia. My father is not yet retired and still runs his business as best he could. He has been in and out of the hospital several times since his surgery. He does feel much better with the LVAD though. Prior to the surgery he could not walk five feet without almost passing out.

My mother still changes my fathers bandages nightly. Just recently my father was given the green light to shower!

Jillian B.

Thanks for replying Lisa and sharing your dads story. My dad has the blues right now and is feeling like he will never get better than he is today. Like I said he was "fine" before the sudden major heart attack and is now in rehab at Columbia. He is very week from being in bed for the last 6 weeks. But compared to where he was even 2 weeks ago when he couldn't even lift his legs to walking with PT is amazing to me. He is in need of some LVAD buddies who can tell him how it really is. The good, bad and ugly. The team at Columbia is truly amazing but hearing from someone who walks the walk and talks the talk would be great! Tell your dad to enjoy that shower!!! I know my dad is looking forward to that day as well:)

Lisa M.

My father was very healthy before is heart attack also! He had just returned from Florida the day before where he was playing golf everyday! He used to play basketball for excerise before also.. after his heart attack he could hardly walk. Tell your father to hang in there. it does get better. My father went to Florida two months ago and got to play golf with his LVAD! My father does need a heart transplant though. Is your father considering that? They are both so young. The staff at both Columbia and Cornell have been wonderful. I am grateful we live so close to hospitals with such great technology and care. I am also grateful to still have my father and the time he can still be with us and his grand children.

Jillian B.

My dad is considering a heart transplant but wants to live with his lVad for a bit before he makes a decision. He has done most of the preliminary paperwork and met with the transplant social worker. I think the past two surgeries and recovery process is making my dad a little weary of a transplant. Plus all the meds etc. that go along with it. One step at a time:)

We were all able to spend Easter together in the rehab dining room. We brought all the food, decorations etc and even had some champagne. My kids (2and 3 1/2) were able to see pop pop for the first time and it was wonderful. I live in northern Virginia and my parents and brother are in nj. So I am not able to help out as much as I would like. That's life:)

So glad to hear your dad is traveling and playing golf! That is fantastic!

Lisa M.

Where does your father live? Maybe we can exchange email addresses for them and they can get together! My father does go to LVAD meetings at Columbia. I think they have them monthly?? Its a good way to meet others in the area who have LVAD or caring for someone with LVAD. We live in Westchester County, NY.