Profile picture for user Bethray
Ray F. Recipient

Sleeping

I have had my LVAD since June of 2010 - 3 years. Never had a problem with the VAD. However, recently I am having difficulty sleeping. I feel pressure or bloatedness in the abdomen. No one can give me an answer. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and what was done about it. I sleep well in a chair, but I prefer the bed. I have tried extra pillows and a wedge - no help. I am not short of breath. Would love to hear how anyone has dealt with this problem. I want to get back to the bed for a full night.

Profile picture for user Bethray
Ray F.

I do appreciate your thought. I am presently taking magnesium I will ask about the magnesium malate. Because of the pressure and bloatedness, I have scheduled an abdominal ultrasound next week. If that shows no problem I will consider the mag malate. Any advice or suggestion is always welcome.

Profile picture for user Danielmwe
Dan W.

I have had very similar problems. My surgeon said the LVAD placed pressure on my stomach. He gave me the option of surgery to reposition or live with it. I chose to live with it and bought a sleep number bed that the head and feet can be adjusted. I lost feeling in my left foot during emergency surgery, so the bed helps my foot also. You can try one for like 90 days and see if it helps.

Profile picture for user Brent
Brenton L.

Hi Bethray, I noticed some bloating in the last 6months too. I have had my lvad 16 months now. The bloating is getting bigger. The dr's xrayed or whatever and said nothing is wrong. It doesn't give me problems other then my pants never fit right. I do take the magnesium everyone talks about. I dont know if its related, but I have constant pain at my driveline site (area).