Profile picture for user hope
sheila k. Caregiver

Pump stopped working on Sunday

We have had a major setback......Drive line broke and lost all current, so heart pump stopped......At CC for a few days. Holding his own, but there is a difference in his energy.....He was doing so so well. Now waiting for a heart. The sad part is, it seems like we were lucky to have no issue till now according to one of the docs. I do not know it they really tell you all the possible things that can happen. All I know, I came home to alarms as my husband was trying to change controllers. It was a nightmare. Please pray for him. He is home now, doing what he can. He was lucky to have an extra year of feeling somewhat normal. Hope

Profile picture for user Ashlyn
Ashlyn R.

Hope, Praying for you and your husband!! I think that we also were not aware of all the things that can happen before hand. For my dad there really wasn't a choice if he didn't get the LVAD, so maybe I didn't need to know everything that could go wrong up front. We just take this one day at a time. I know for my family this has been physically, mentally and emotionally draining at times. I know for me I think about my dad out of surgery and all I wanted was to have him off the ventilator and be able to hear his voice again. I just try to take every opportunity I can to spend time with him. I will keep you guys in my thoughts!!

Profile picture for user hope
sheila k.

Hi Virginia, Husband had an issue in May with driveline while hooking up to monitor, able to restart when put on batteries. Went to Cleveland Clinic next day. All numbers ok, and they could not duplicate the incident, did xrays on line to see if internal, could not find. Kept him for 24 hours, and doctor came in the next day to tell us it was electrical, and needs replaced asap. Did not feel comfortable with this, since no one could pinpoint problem, decided to be put on top of heart list and go home to wait. Appt the following week, thoratec did some test on his line and no electrical problem. In july, he sat down and alarms went totally off, only to see the line had broken at connector site, almost like wear and tear of daily movement. Lucky to be holding his own, but worried for how long. Waiting for heart. The lvad is still in place as well as daily sterile dressings. He was doing so well, not so much now. Low energy definietly noted......