Profile picture for user JerryN
Jerry N. Recipient

Backpack for back up equipment?

I wondered if anyone knew of a backpack that would work for backup equipment, with straps for both shoulders. I'm looking ideally for something more secure and comfortable than the shoulder strap and boxy shape of the standard issue Go Gear back-up bag.

Thanks in advance

JerryN

Profile picture for user vincent
Steve V.

I removed two of the batteries and went to a smaller over the shoulder bag

I figured that two batteries was plenty for most of the day -- if I am away from home for hours I take the other two batteries and leave them in the car just in case -- as long as I have two fresh batteries with me at all times I feel like I am safe

as long as I can get to the other batteries quickly

The weight is reasonable with just two batteries and two clips and the controller

Profile picture for user Dawn_Koutek
Dawn K.

Jerry - I found a fantastic backpack for the backup equipment on Sears.com. It is a sling back, so the strap crosses your chest and is easily adjustable (which we needed because my brother is big and I am small and we split the days caring for our Dad). There is the main pouch which is large enough for the AC/car adapter and battery charger, there is is front zipper pouch where we put the controller, and there are two front side-by-side zipper pouches where we put a battery in each. It is not really bulky or awkward, I mean, the equipment is heavy, so whatever you carry it in is going to be bulky. But the design of this bag is perfect for this stuff -- having the battery pouches right in front in especially great and being able to keep the pieces relatively separated and cushioned helps cut down on the worry of them banging together and causing damage. Just go to www.sears.com and type in Item # SPM6478147009 the Model#is IVG-2148-BK- It cost 50.10 - worth every penny!!

Profile picture for user Brent
Brenton L.

Hi Jerry I have a couple suggestions. First, I made a bag just for this with a special elastic like strap to absorb the weight. You can see it at www.lvadgear.com under messenger bag. I also use a back pack designed for athletes to carry water. I took the water bladder out and it fits my spare gear nicely. I do have all my stuff wrapped in 1/2 inch foam so it don't get damaged. I bought the water backpack at walmart. If you want to hear about some other things I use for this just email me at lvadgear@live.com. I can tell you about my hunting backpack, my dressy one, etc. I have several. Brent

Profile picture for user dmadsteve
Donna S.

Still trying to find 'comfortable' way for husband to wear Heartmate Iii equipment. Tried to find backpack at Sears.com but couldn't locate. Any additional info would help, ie, brand name, style, etc. Also, anyone found the 'best' way to protect driveline dressing site other than cling wrap and waterproof tape? Was looking for a tegaderm type film with sticky stuff on borders only that really sticks to the skin and can be removed after shower without interfering eith dressong site. Have tried the large Aqua Guard that fits the torso but doesn't work without taping securely. Thanks.
Profile picture for user twinlarry

In reply to by Donna S.

Larry G.

I use a fishing vest has many pockets inside and out light weight has 2 deep inner pockets where I put my batteries and controller one on each side sure beats the pouch I got at the hospital the vest I use is $28.99 on Amazon  model zqxpp men's outdoor fishing vest

Profile picture for user Paul1991

In reply to by Donna S.

Paul B.

If your asking about showering then call home monitoring they sell everything for the LVAD's. Phone866-683-7331. Your hospital should have issued you a prescription for your change kits and anything else you may need. The shower guard is plastic with glue only on the edges. Bandage still gets a little damp sometimes. call them they will help u.

Profile picture for user shortstp78
Juanita P.

Does anyone know where u can get a backpack that is comfortable, heartmate ii for a woman?? 

Profile picture for user Cathie
Cathie W.

I've got an older version of this Vera Bradley backpack. https://www.verabradley.com/us/product/Hadley-Backpack/22689-22689L11

It's pretty, stylish and fits the backup controller, two batteries, clips, and list of all meds.  Kind of pricey but I found a consignment shop that always has tons of them.  If you have a Plato's Closet in your area (https://www.platoscloset.com/Locations#us) you can find them for $20!

In reply to by Cathie W.

Juanita P.

Thank you for the information, I will look at the bags.  What I've been doing is getting a regular backpack, put a cut at the bottom where driveline would exit, and put velcro on both sides and close.  However, the batteries/controller bounced around, so I put a small hand towel in there to keep from moving around.  Idk,, for now it works. 

In reply to by Cathie W.

Juanita P.

Thank you for the information, I will look at the bags.  What I've been doing is getting a regular backpack, put a cut at the bottom where driveline would exit, and put velcro on both sides and close.  However, the batteries/controller bounced around, so I put a small hand towel in there to keep from moving around.  Idk,, for now it works. 

Paul B.

Bought two canvas back packs with padded shoulder straps for 14.00 $. It has a small pouch on the side that the controller fits in and there are two compartments inside one for each battery. I put foam squares inside to cushion the batteries. Also I put insulation between in the pack to keep the heat inside the pack. I have not been able to find that pack in walmart again. I put all the wires under the shoulder strap and that keeps them tight to my body so they don't catch on anything. I wear the pack when I'm playing tennis, pickle ball or fishing.

In reply to by Paul B.

Juanita P.

Thank you for that information. I wish I had a pic of them.  There is a walmart right around the corner...Good pricing.  Yes I am very active too.  I've had my LVAD 2 years on 3/22/19.  :) 

Paul B.

Protecting the drive line exit site and bandage try using a shower guard. They come in two sizes 12X12 or 9X9. It is clear plastic with only the edge sticky that way it won't pull off the bandage. It can be purchased at Alere Home Monitoring 866-683-7331. They sell everything you need for the heart pump.

Paul B.

The name on the pack is Ozark Trail. Any pack with wide thick shoulder straps a side pocket large enough to hold the controller will do. Make sure it has two separate compartments with the type of zipper that can go both ways.  Also I prefer canvas so that it absorbs the sweat and that the two straps are padded for comfort. I bought two but only using one now it's almost time to start using the backup one. I'm going to start looking for a replacement. When I find one I will post it

In reply to by Paul B.

Juanita P.

Thank you very much.  And they are reasonable price....