Profile picture for user barbe8824
Barbara E. Caregiver

Suggestions on how to wear new pocket controller

My boyfriend received a new pocket controller in Oct 2013. We have been trying to figure out the best way to wear the new controller. He has tried the strap around his neck and tied around his waist, also tried the strap across his chest, and then also the controller in his pocket. Since he has had a stroke either the strap hurts his shoulder that is subluxed or if it is in his pocket it pulls his pants down since he has to wear only elastic pants. Any suggestions? The new controller is much better than the old one that had to be in a fanny pack that was heavy around his waist.

Profile picture for user Michael_Gudleski
Michael G.

I have the smaller pocket controller. I wear an under armour six pocket football girdle. I put the controller in the left side hip pocket, and the batteries in the pockets where the thigh pads would normally go. I bought several pair they work so well, great in hot weather. Using the bathroom is no problem. As long as you get a good tight fit, there's no sagging. Way better than wearing them high. I would get a size smaller.

Profile picture for user Brent
Brenton L.

Hi I am Brent from LVADGEAR.COM, and I would love to design something to make wearing it more comfortable. I have the old style Heartmate II. I have looked all over the internet for pictures or specs on the new system. If you can send me a picture and some dimensions I will design something. No cost to you. you can contact me at lvadgear@live.com or just go to the site www.lvadgear.com.

Profile picture for user Vlad the Impeller
Vlad the Impeller

I received my HM2 LVAD including the new pocket controller in November 2013.

I now find the best way to wear the equipment is simply by using a bodywarmer (gilet / waistcoat?) over a shirt with a breast pocket. I have been wearing the bodywarmers for 6 months now and have not encountered any significant problems.

I never wear an LVAD bag or the holsters that the hospital supplied.

I now have a collection of 7 bodywarmers / gilets in 4 different styles / sizes and use 'snug fit' ones for cycling and a 'looser fit' one for cardiac rehab classes. The only activity that I have found an issue with is Golf but by placing the batteries in my trouser pockets then I can still regularly beat my 17 year old son. (Actually I am only playing Wii Golf at the moment but I am looking forward to getting down to a real driving range once my driving licence is returned)

Some bodywarmers can be worn without any alterations being required as long as they are unlined and have two reasonable size hip pockets. On the inside of these bodywarmer the pockets are usually stiched to the shell on three sides leaving the top open thus forming two pouches that the batteries can easily slot into. Just to clarify the batteries do not go in the pockets of the unlined bodywarmers, they go into the internal pouches formed by the pockets.

Being male I find the HM2 new pocket controller simply fits into the breast pocket of my shirts with the drive line going through the shirt buttons about half way up. All three wires are simply pushed to the same side as the breast pocket and I wear the bodywarmer zipped to a half / three quarters up and this allows the wires to be hidden from view.

The unlined bodywarmers / gilets are great to wear all year round (in England at least) and don't look out of place when worn in summer with a short sleeved shirt. The unlined ones I use are typically made of polyester i.e. They don't stretch. I have avoided the fleece style bodywarmers as they are likely to sag.

See UK example at http://www.karrimor.com/karrimor-softshell-gilet-mens-443010?colcode=44301003

I also use lined bodywarmers however these do need to have external pockets large enough to hold the batteries and you will need to make a small alteration to allow either the full battery or at least the battery connector to pass through the lining and into the pocket. So for cotton lined ones you will need someone who is handy with needle and thread to 'button hole" the opening.

The traditional waxed cotton bodywarmers / gilets are good as the pockets are larger enough for the batteries and the pocket flaps / studs disguish any battery bulge.

See UK example at http://www.ewm.co.uk/padded-wax-gilet.html

The modern synthetic bodywarmers are also suitable but as they have synthetic linings I have simply used 'McNett Tenacious clear repair tape' to seal the opening in the lining and this has worked well for me so far. The quilted versions agaian disguise any battery bulging.

See UK example at http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rab-microlight-vest-p282958

I have looked at lots of bodywarmers and the vast majority are not suitable for LVAD use due to small pockets, stretchy materials, not being robust enough for the batteries etc. However the ones in the links above have worked for me and are easily available. If you find other ones that work for you I would be interested in hearing from you.

Note: I have noticed that sizes across brands are very inconsistent as a medium size in one brand can be XXL in another so ensure you try before you buy.