Profile picture for user Karen_Van_Name
Karen V. Recipient

Bridge to Recovery

Hey everyone! I received my HeartMate II on October 1, 2013. I had an echo yesterday and so far there have been no changes since my echo following surgery. Although there is a slim chance of recovery, my doctors are hopeful that I will recover because of my age and lack of scarring on my heart.

Does anyone else have their LVAD as bridge to recovery? If so, when did you start seeing changes?

~karen

Profile picture for user dbacho
Diana P.

Hi, my husband was implanted with the heartmate ii in March of 2013 with the intentions of it being a bridge to recovery-also because of his age and health prior to implantation. We were hopeful that it would only be 3-6 months, but it's been longer. The cannula was implanted crooked and shifted sometime in the last few months. On March 14, he had surgery to reposition the cannula, there was no clotting or any other need to replace it. We are still hopeful that he can recover. His numbers have been great, his INR has been steady, his PI has been up and power and flow have been down. We are praying that this is the start of true recovery. I get a little concerned because I see his number go a little wonky sometimes but our VAD team and my husband are not concerned, so I just keep it to myself. Hope that helps.

Profile picture for user ThomasMartin
Thomas M.

Hi Karen - I had my HM II removed 15 months after its implant. Three month after the implant, I had my first echo. My EF had gone from around 18 to 35. Also at that time, I again had a pulse and they were able to take my BP the usual way, not needing a Doppler. Six months after implant my EF was at 40 and at one year it was at 50. I was also doing many things on my own to help repair my heart. All the best to you.

Profile picture for user mcgheetown
mcgheetown

Hi Thomas - What specifically did you do on your own to help repair your heart? My husband had an LVAD implanted in March of this year, and I want to know your sucess story in detail so we can take similar positive believing action if applicable. Thank you so very much for your input!!

Cindy McGhee

Profile picture for user moore1833
Ronald M.

I got my lvad 2/2014 last month my echo showed that my heart was 3.5 cm smaller.