Profile picture for user Steven Hood
Steven H. Recipient

Clothing

I just can’t afford $80 to $120 for shirts to carry batteries and George(yes, I named my system controller). I bought package of iron-on Velcro, which cost $6. I took T-shirt’s and cut 3 inch hole. This is plenty wide enough to push controller or even battery through. I then bought fly fishing vest off Amazon ($20). I wear the vest inside out so controller, batteries and all wires aren’t exposed. I might put shirt or light weight jacket over this but most of the time I don’t.
Profile picture for user frankeieio
Frank I.

Check out Medi-materials. Their undervest at $49 eachanged my lvad expereince. 
I ended up purchasing a second one and now wear it 24/7 swapping out for the clean one when I shower. every few days.  For me not having to use a Foley Anchor to secure the driveline any more really helped my skin recover there.

Profile picture for user bfast
Brian F.

So happy to hear someone else names their LVAD.  I had originally named mine Vlad....as in Vlad the impeller, though most didn’t get the joke.  So I referred to him as Bruce after the shark in Little Mermaid as he always wanted to be fed.  

I agree clothing is a bit tricky and the shirts/ vests never seemed to fit or were in my opinion too pricey soni opted for many of the same things you mentioned.  I was so grrateful to still be alive that a few minor adjustments were a good choice to continue to have quality of life

Profile picture for user frankeieio

In reply to by Brian F.

Frank I.

Mine too, is named Vladimir the Impeller. I am the impaled and the back up kit is The Count. :) 

Profile picture for user Cathie
Cathie W.

We bought three LVAD shirts in preparation of my husband's homecoming, only to find out he really hated them. He's been using cargo shorts instead. Just cut a hole in the back of the pocket to put the wires through, hook the controller to your belt and voila!. No-one even knows he's got an LVAD.