Profile picture for user Janetteallen@mac.com
Janette A. Caregiver

Game Changer

I would like this to respond to Cat S who says she is scared.  I would like to send a few words of encouragement to her.  My husband received an LVAD II nearly 6 months ago.  Prior to that, he had had 3 cardiac arrests outside of the hospital with a 1:1,000 chance of survival, so we feel very blessed.  After the last arrest, which occurred at home, with just me present, I knew he would not be discharged until he had the LVAD placed.  The operation was performed 1 week later.  It is a big operation, but everything went very well.  The recovery was uneventful.  We had many advantages, one being that I was a transplant coordinator and had worked with heart transplants for 25 years.  Since my husband was 73, although a transplant was offered as he is in good condition, we opted for the LVAD.  He has continued to improve daily.  He now can drive, play golf, socialize and live a very normal life.  His style of dressing is a little more casual, having to wear the controller and batteries under his shirt.  This has been a real game changer.  It has taken away the fear of another cardiac arrest.  His energy level is so improved.  The medical team has been very attentive and knowledgeable.  We are very pleased with the outcome.  So Cat, trust your medical team, comply implicitly with their instructions, and you will have a successful outcome.