Profile picture for user Cathie
Cathie W. Caregiver

Back up equipment

I've got to assume there is some backup equipment out there that one can purchase; whether it be from a heart transplant patient or from someone whose family member has unfortunately passed away?  We would like not to lug equipment back and forth between two homes.  Does anyone have an information on whether this is OK or if this is even an affordable option?

Profile picture for user MClark
Marsha C.

Which type of system do you use? I have a Heartmate 2 complete setup with 8 batteries if you're interested. You can contact me at sinstinna@gmail.com. 

Profile picture for user Gene Clements

In reply to by Marsha C.

Gene C.

As the old "lost in space" TV robot often said, " DANGER, Will Robinson, DANGER!"

These batteries have an expiration date, and for a good reason, I just found out. That's why they are replaced every three(#) years. Though they seem to be still running strong past the X-date, they can ABRUPTLY FAIL !!!!  Not good, if you are using them, huh!

So, check the X-dates on any such batteries you may be offering or receiving (see label on the back).

The only time batteries may still be usable for their REMAINING life is if they come from a patient who has died after the implant or has had a heart transplant.

But even then, the X-date MUST be checked. Your life depends on it!!

Profile picture for user acura
Pat A.

Live in Ma. Have many  driveline kits to keep your site clean , battery’s, battery holster vest.  If anyone needs them . You can have them . I had the heartmate 2 . Email me @ acura1234567@aol.com .

Profile picture for user Eddiep124
Edward Joseph P.

Hi Cathie .... Just recently received a new heart and have no use for my Heartmate 3 equipment. I only had the equipment 2 months, since I received my new heart right away. I also have the charger and four batteries, new shower case, charging cord, vest, brand new unit and a black and red case for carrying the batteries. You can reach my by email eplantz124@aol.com. Hope I can help you. I live on Long Island.  Thx Edward J. Plantz    Phone number is 631-918-2953 if your interested.

Profile picture for user jodir

In reply to by Edward Joseph P.

Jodi R.

I am interested in what kind of vest you have. We ran into an LVad patient at my husband’s last appointment at Cleveland Clinic and he had on a vest that held the batteries on the inside of the vest and up pretty high so nothing hung out below the vest.  My husband really liked it but we didn’t think to ask him where he got it and we can’t find that style.  

Profile picture for user Cathie
Cathie W.

Thank you everyone.  I found out from our VAD clinic that they actually will provide us with the backup equipment that has been donated back to them!  this way they can monitor it and we don't have to pay out of pocket for replacements.  If something has to be replaced, insurance will cover our first set but the hospital will cover the second set with another "loan-er".  

Profile picture for user trish58
Patricia B.

I have a spare lvad that my brother had he passed away in November he never used his spare I am trying to sell it to pay for his final expenses it has 2 batteries all the cords and the bag I am not trying to make money just trying to take care of his final expenses

Profile picture for user gmanvball

In reply to by Patricia B.

Garicke R.

Patricia, You may want to check with your LVAD hospital. All that equipment is actually rented and I believe has to be returned controller, batteries, charger etc. The wearable stuff not so much. I would hate to see you sell and then have to pay for it. Also, batteries have a shelf life on them. The controller has to be tied specifically to each patient, since each person has different parameters.
Patricia B.

I have extra equipment a spare lvad and batteries that I would like to sell to pay for my brother's final expenses

Profile picture for user Emilysimon
Emily S.

How can my husband get a generator for when the lights goes out cause he's an LVAD patient.?

In reply to by Emily S.

Patricia B.

They didn't provide us with a genearator we had several bad storms and lost power luckily we live right down the road from a fire station he was able to charge there

Profile picture for user slhinkle

In reply to by Emily S.

Stephen H.

Hi,  home generators are installed by hvac people and contractors.  Google home generators and your community and you will come up with a list. In the meantime contact the company that provides your electricity and emergency one in your area and give them the information that your husband is an lvad patient so that he can be put on a priority list when service goes out. When researching a home generator it is helpful to know what in your home that you want to have electricity to refrigerator stove heaters furnace live television freezer so that you know what size have a generator to get. Again your electric provider would be a helpful source to help you determine what is is that you need in the way of electricity to run the most important things. When I see installed mine I didn't plan on doing the laundry or dishwasher xcetera those were things that I can hold off until electricity comes back on. Hope this is helpful. Steve

In reply to by Emily S.

Garicke R.

That would be a personal purchase. The hospital should have sent your information to the local power company so you are a higher status to get power put back on. When you loose power just have to connect to batteries. We didn't have power for a few days just charged at parents house. I did buy a portable generator that I hook up to frig etc. and run a extension cord to charge batteries but don't think I would advise to connect to generator.
Profile picture for user

In reply to by Garicke R.

Anonymous

Whether a power company has to give you a priority in power restoration is a matter of state law.  NY is a good state.  Dominion Power in Virginia on the other hand said if the power goes out, we won't give you a priority on power restoration, but you can delay paying your bill.  I protested to the Governor's office which said Dominion was correct, they don't have to do anything in Virginia.  Try, and if they won't give you a priority go to the Governor, the legislators and the press.

Profile picture for user

In reply to by Garicke R.

Anonymous

Whether a power company has to give you a priority in power restoration is a matter of state law.  NY is a good state.  Dominion Power in Virginia on the other hand said if the power goes out, we won't give you a priority on power restoration, but you can delay paying your bill.  I protested to the Governor's office which said Dominion was correct, they don't have to do anything in Virginia.  Try, and if they won't give you a priority go to the Governor, the legislators and the press.

In reply to by Emily S.

Garicke R.

That would be a personal purchase. The hospital should have sent your information to the local power company so you are a higher status to get power put back on. When you loose power just have to connect to batteries. We didn't have power for a few days just charged at parents house. I did buy a portable generator that I hook up to frig etc. and run a extension cord to charge batteries but don't think I would advise to connect to generator.
Profile picture for user frankeieio
Frank I.

I am with an LVAD as a bridge therapy.  The way I understand it, once I either get a transplant heart, or if I get transplanted in to the hereafter without one: I, or my family, must return the original LVAD equipement, to the transplant center.  

Garicke R.

You need to ask your team. Most all equipment are rented out and have to be returned when LVAD is replaced. Don't get into a bind with that. Also, everything is set to specific parameters specific to patient. Also, batteries have a shelf life of only a few years and are monitored by your supplier by serial numbers.