Profile picture for user AlvinLVAD
Bryan L. Recipient

Anchors

We seem to have issues with the anchors staying attached to the skin. Yes we clean with alcohol, let it dry, apply the skin barrier, let that dry and it still comes off. We have also tried with it with out the skin barrier after cleaning the skin with alcohol, and they still come off.   

Profile picture for user bobshill
Bob S.

First we place strips of Transpore tape on the skin and then place the anchor on top of the Transpore tape...another effective product is Band-Aid Hydro Seal (extra large)...we place two bandages side by side with a little overlap and then place the anchor on top....both of these methods are very effective for us....usually lasts 8 days...we do a dressing change every 4 days.

Profile picture for user Stkneis
Sharon K.

We asked for additional 10cm x 15cm hydrofoil patches and put one on the anchor as well.  We also use some paper tape to keep the ends from coming up.

Profile picture for user suse
Susanna B.

Hi Bryan,

hubby has his Heart Mate II since 2015 and we use the HollisterDrain/Tube Attachment Device 5-40 Ch/Fr from Hollister Inc. , 2000 Hollister Drive, Libertyville,IL., which worked well right from the beginning. We tried the Foley anchors once, however , they are too soft and flexible and indeed come quickly off, when you move a lot or when it is hot. No need to put a skin barrier under the attachment, it is made from a skin friendly material and we change it once/week. We do dressing change every 3-4 days, that depends again on activity and outer temperatures.  

Best of luck for you and your wife and greetings from Germany !

Susanna + Heinrich

Profile picture for user Joanne W
Joanne W.

We use the Foley Anchors and have had fairly good success.  Hot weather seems to be when we have it come loose and sometimes, it is how we place on his skin. When it sits between a crease or a bend point on your skin the Foley Anchor moves. changing the position of the anchor on your next bandage change might help. It may just need to sit a little higher or lower,  at a different angle maybe. or catch the corner of the main bandage.  Just suggestions. we also have our team give us a few extra anchors just in case. we have also used tape.  We have been told you cannot buy them as per the Foley bandage company.  I called them. LOL .  I have never heard of one with a stronger adhesive but they might be out there.  We change the Foley anchor each time. Never reuse or reposition, they loose there sticky!  good clean and dry and keeping cooler should also help. That is all I got.  so good luck.  We have been doing this for 4 years. With the first Heartmate lll  in our area. 

Profile picture for user dougannew
Doug W.

i get my extra hold anchors through my supply provider Continuum 877 217-1485.

Profile picture for user dougannew
Doug W.

i get my extra hold anchors through my supply provider Continuum 877 217-1485.

Profile picture for user Wildflower
Lisa J.

Hi Bryan,

I started using Bioderm Rx anchors in Medium.  I cut them in half leaving only one grip.  I found that if it was smaller it did not pull off.  This anchor does not irritate my skin.  I do your steps clean with alcohol and use a no sting prep spray.  These are covered by insurance.  The centrion foley anchors did not work for me.  Irritated my skin and kept coming off.

I do have issues with my bandage (tagaderm) coming off in the heat.  Need to find a sweat proof bandage.

Hope you find a solution, it is frustrating!