Profile picture for user Baz
Babu O. Recipient

Small Battery Size - Latest Development

Any news of development of smaller batteries and if so when are they likely to be implemented - Thanks

Profile picture for user Lgb0250
Larry B.

Haven’t heard a thing about smaller batteries! With my HM3 I get close to 17 hrs a day. Would much rather have them concentrating on how to make this system waterproof. Would be nice to get back in a pool again and not go through the change of life to take my daily morning shower!

Profile picture for user shortstp78

In reply to by Larry B.

Juanita P.

I've heard that the total implantation-2 years off...Haven't heard smaller batteries as of yet.  Amen to your comment Larry B with swimming etc,/bathing.  I've been an avid swimmer all my life.  

Profile picture for user Mugsymgs

In reply to by Larry B.

MITCHELL S.

I don't know if you saw the news a few weeks ago.  The FDA has given Medtronic fast track approval to develop a completely implantable LVAD including the power source. N it's a few years from going to market but it is coming. Medtronics is working on it and predicts in 2 to 5 years it could be ready for wide distribution.

An LVAD with no DRIVELINE. No more infection risk, and since it's all internal, no  more bandages to change. Essentially a heart transplant without the risk of infection or rejection.

Not sure if I want to do the surgery again just to get that,  but if my pump was having issues this would be a great upgrade

In reply to by Larry B.

MITCHELL S.

I don't know if you saw the news a few weeks ago.  The FDA has given Medtronic fast track approval to develop a completely implantable LVAD including the power source. N it's a few years from going to market but it is coming. Medtronics is working on it and predicts in 2 to 5 years it could be ready for wide distribution.

An LVAD with no DRIVELINE. No more infection risk, and since it's all internal, no  more bandages to change. Essentially a heart transplant without the risk of infection or rejection.

Not sure if I want to do the surgery again just to get that,  but if my pump was having issues this would be a great upgrade

In reply to by MITCHELL S.

Juanita P.

Yes that is what Jefferson told me it is about 2 years off, the total implantable.  I am curious though how big the entire unit is?  Basically, as I was told, what is on outside, will be put inside.  and claimed would be more chance for infection.  The reason they didn't have them as of yet because the trials, they were catching fire inside...Just sharing.  I would love nothing more to have it out of implantable to live a normal life.  I'll wait, of course we all will, until the perfect this unit.  Thank you for sharing!!

In reply to by Juanita P.

MITCHELL S.

We all need to send ELON MUSK money to invest in long term batteries, because that's really what's needed. They can shrink the controller down, and transmit data to doctors via blue tooth, so the true limitation is battery life.

Maybe you have to go in every once in awhile for new batteries?

Profile picture for user Susang

In reply to by Larry B.

Susan S.

use wide masking tape for showering.   It works great.  Keeps site dry and removes easily.

My husband his destination HM2 surgery in oct. 2016.  He had to have a replacement 5 days later , Thrombosis on the pump.  He was in the hospital 61 days.  His age is 74.  There has been some events due to the Lvad, but nothing basically faulty with it.  He recently had an alarm go off and he stopped breathing , was unconscious for 1 minute. His pump stopped and there was no blood being pumped.   I am his wife and caregiver, very scary.  Did the steps, called the team, he did come back to me.  He was hospitalized at Mayo in Pheonix , for what they call “short to shield “.  They preformed an external percutaneous lead replacement , this did not solve the problem ,when returned to grounded cable.  He was discharged with a power module and a non-grounded cable.  We will be replacing his pump again due to continued wiring damage progression. 

I, Susan would like to know if any other Lvad patient has experienced this.

Juanita P.

I was also told, for your FYI, pig hearts would be used before implantable was done...Idk..just sharing!!

Profile picture for user Mike50
Mike M.

How do you handle your LVAD at the airport with regard to the metal detector or wanding?  

The same question please for major sporting events where there are metal detectors.

Profile picture for user Stan_C

In reply to by Mike M.

Stan C.

I have not had to address the issue with metal detectors, wanding, etc. yet.  However, my LVAD team explained that if you suspect it could happen to arrive early, give them the security letter I always carry, advise security what you have and the circumstances, and to request a manual inspection by proper security personnel.

Profile picture for user Stan_C

In reply to by Connie W.

Stan C.

Have a Heart Mate 3 and have been advised not to take the chance, do any electrical work, welding, or even lean over into an engine compartment as they are not sure what exactly could happen.  No ID card just a letter from LVAD department addressed "To Whom It May Concern" with their 24 hours contact number if further information is needed.

Profile picture for user MichaelSmith7

In reply to by Mike M.

MIke S.

I've had an LVAD for five years now and have been through metal detectors at sporting events, airports, foreign travel, and other types of events. Tell security you have an LVAD and they will wand you by hand. There is no danger to your LVAD (no magnets involved) and no note or card required. Sometimes it takes a little longer, waiting for a person with a wand to show up, but sometimes you can go through faster, too. 

Profile picture for user slhinkle

In reply to by Mike M.

Stephen H.

I havent flown but i have been in different circumstances wuth bag checks. Basically i have said i have medical issues, heart pump implant and ooened the top of my bag all with no problems.

Profile picture for user slhinkle

In reply to by Mike M.

Stephen H.

I havent flown but i have been in different circumstances wuth bag checks. Basically i have said i have medical issues, heart pump implant and ooened the top of my bag all with no problems.

Profile picture for user janette
Janette G.

I am a  100 lb women who find the batteries very heavy I would be so happy if they made A lot lighter battery so I can walk longer and do more things

Profile picture for user Kybill54
Bill N.

Hi , I've read it on this website and my support nurse told me the same thing. I don't know how long it will be but I heard this. HONEST !!! I would not tell you this  if it's not true. You take care and Peace be with you.