Have you ever done an emergency controller change?Mon, 11/25/2019 - 12:33AM
My name is Larrie and I’m Story Producer for a show called Life on Batteries, as well as an LVAD patient myself. I was hoping you could help me with research for an upcoming episode by sharing your experiences around emergency controller changes. This also may be a good discussion topic in itself, of interest to those of us who have never had to swap out controllers in an urgent situation.
LVAD systems typically require that you carry a spare controller for use in the event of an equipment failure. Since your initial LVAD training, have you practiced for an emergency controller change? Does anyone practice the procedure regularly? Do you feel prepared and confident to actually do it if necessary?
For those who have actually experienced an emergency controller change, please share your story in your own words, addressing as many of the following questions as possible:
- Where and when did it happen?
- Did you have any prior warning that it was going to happen? If so, what?
- Were you alone, among people, or with someone knowledgeable about LVADs?
- How far away was your emergency spares kit?
- Describe what happened. How did you do it? Did you have assistance with the swap?
- Please include anything else those of us who have never needed to swap a controller may want to know.
Thanks in advance for sharing!