Profile picture for user OA09
Osman A. Family Member

How to measure the blood pressure of an lvad patient?

Hello everyone. My mother has been having LVAD for 6 years. We cannot measure his blood pressure in any way, sometimes it can be measured on the monitors in the hospital. There is a thrombus shortage in both the pump and the default. For this reason, we want to observe the blood pressure in some way. Will products sold as fetal doppler help us with this? I wish you a good day.

Profile picture for user Angel13
Angela C.

Hi 

yeh a Doppler can be used to monitor blood pressure and my husband has an lvad and he has no pulse so the only way to measure this is by using a Doppler 

Profile picture for user Mariza
Mariza M.

Hi,

I have had an LVAD for almost 5 years and I am currently using the vascular doppler as well as the coagucheck to measure blood coagulation (INR). Both are okay as make me far from the hospital ambiance, mainly in these days.

Profile picture for user Robbinst
Tim R.

Good question, a fetal Doppler would work. They are designed to look for a pulse more broadly. A vascular probe is more focused and will find the pulse more clearly (that’s the primary difference), but if the cost is much different (and it often is), I would Try the fetal one first. 

Profile picture for user cheRiE 09
Cherie C.

I have trouble going to my appts and most offices dont have a doppler like my LVAD.  When I started chemo they couldnt take my blood pressure either. They didnt have a doppler so nurse went to maternity to get one. She called it a mini doppler.