Profile picture for user egaogao71
Evelyn G. Caregiver

Carry on bag for equipment

Hi all,

Just wanted to see if anyone has any recommendation on carry on bag for all the equipment to go in when traveling.

Also, anyone had to purchase a generator for backup in case of power outage? If so, what have you found to be most useful?

Thanks.

Profile picture for user butchie
Vito M.

Hi. I use a tolling duffel bag, it holds the charger and the overnight power unit. We did add a generator to our home. It’s big enough to run about half of the house. 

Profile picture for user shohfiish
Sharon S.

My husband’s LVAD Coordinators recommended a hard sided carry on case. Pack only your equipment in it & label it on the outside “Medical Equipment” & it doesn’t have to count as one of your carry on bags. Also they can’t make you gate check it. It took some time to get everything thing to fit, so someone gave the idea to take a photo for next time. 

Profile picture for user Wildflower
Lisa J.

I use a larger carry on spinner for equipment and supplies.  I think it is 21inches. It is a Samantha brown suitcase. Not a hard side.  
If you are flying you can email tsa cares and let them know you are coming through with an LVAD. It helps with me so they have a woman to do the check.  

In reply to by Lisa J.

Sharon S.

A fellow LVAD patient gave us the info about TSA Cares the 1st time we flew & it is awesome . We call 72 hours before our flight & a TSA person meets us at the ticket counter & walks us through. They have my husband rub his hands over his control unit & his batteries & they wand his hands. His coordinators recommended the hard side carry on to protect the equipment. We carry his xtra control unit & batteries in a backpack.

Profile picture for user mjjustus@msn.com
James J.

Find a carry on which fits the charger first. I place it in, closest to the wheels for balance. There should be room for the mobile power unit, cords and meds plus extra aqua guards and dressings. Yes, it is heavy to get in the overhead. I put the extra batteries and extra controller in my briefcase.
Every time through TSA is different, but never frustrating. Just allow the time.

As for a generator, I plan to have my batteries as a backup until I can find power. I plan to go to a nearby fire station, police station or hospital where I know there will be a generator. I have a battery light near the bed, if I lose power at night.

Profile picture for user Stan_C
Stan C.

Others have advised very well about a suitcase for your equipment.  When I travel I also the include the following:

Since you don't know where the electrical outlet will be in your room be sure to take a 12 gauge, 3-prong, 12 foot extension cord with 3 or 4 plugins for everything to plug into.

Couple extra sterile bandages and whatever else you use to change your bandage.

Lastly, never check any of your LVAD equipment.  If anything becomes "lost luggage" you are in trouble.

In reply to by Stan C.

Sharon S.

My husband has a Heartmate 3. We were told that the night time wall power unit can not be plugged into an extension cord & has to be plugged directly into the wall outlet. 

Profile picture for user mjjustus@msn.com
James J.

I also was told to not use an extension cord with the mobile power unit.

Profile picture for user Stan_C
Stan C.

One thing I have found about this forum is the differences we have all been told what and what not to do.  Nor will I say your LVAD coordinators are wrong.  I inquired about extension cords because I had stayed in a hotel that did not have an electrical outlet that was convenient.  When I asked I was advised a good heavy one would be fine as long as it was not a "power strip" because many of them have built-in circuit breakers, off/on switches, and sometimes other electronics that could interfere with the equipment.  I have had to use this extension cord multiple times and once would have had to sleep with batteries if I didn't have it.  So please do as advised by your LVAD team or think is best for you.