Profile picture for user Rissa1974
CRIs S. Family Member

Nervous Wreck

My Husband had LVAD surgery on Friday 1/8/2021. About 10 pm that night they had to put a tube down his throat to see what was going wrong. By 1:00am Saturday Morning I had to consent again for them to go back in him because the right side of the heart wasn't strong enough. Well Sunday the nurse told me he squeezed her had and wiggled his toes. Yesterday I called to check on him and the nurse put me on speaker and suprisingly he was talking. You just don't know how that felt. It was like the stress was lifted. The nurse called today and said he wanted to talk to me. All he kept saying was call 911 and get the police up here something is not right. He told me people were taking over the hospital and shooting everyone they saw. He told me he saw it. All I can do is cry because I know he was talking out of his head. I'm so scared that I'm going to lose my husband. I read up on hallucinations after heart surgery and came across delirium and now I wish I never look it up. Has anyone else experienced this. I don't know what I would do without my husband. I feel like I'm going crazy right now.

Profile picture for user barbara.gelinas
Barbara G.

So sorry you are both going through this.  We are praying that he starts improving this minute.  My hubby had an LVAD for almost four years and, while he never had any complications with it, he did go through some extremely dire, near-death experiences prior to that and I do understand what you're going through.  Please keep us posted.  God bless you both.

Profile picture for user Ddwhis
Debra W.

Hello Chris, by now I’m sure that your husband is not having ICU delirium And recovering quickly after his LVAD placement. My husband, who is 74, had his implanted almost  2 years ago and he is doing very well. He also had ICU delirium for a few hours after the surgery and I was able to be with him at that time but I almost wish I wouldn’t have because I’ve never seen such fear in his eyes. He thought blood was coming down from the ceiling. That was the worst time in the entire 2 years since he has had the LVAD. I felt so overwhelmed at first with dressing changes and medications etc. just like you will but once you get used to it, it is second nature. Please let me know how your husband is doing and don’t forget to take care of yourself too.