Profile picture for user Cole@58-
Barbara Cole C. Recipient

HIGH PI

My name is Barbara, I've had my Lvad Heartmate 3 over 3 years. So far I haven't experienced any major issues  thank God! My question is regarding medication sensitivity and high PI's. Can anyone share regarding their experience with medicatons and High PI with Heartmate 3?

Profile picture for user goodwench1000
Diane B.

Hi Barbara

I cannot comment on medications without knowing which ones you mean. My husband had his Heartmate 3 LVAD end of last August and a few weeks ago he started getting high PI (instead of 1.7 to 1.9 he was 7 to 9 at times). he felt terrible when that happened and dizzy. Got him to see team and they did a speed echo and found out his native (own) heart had improved a a lot since this last January's echo (10% ejection fraction to 35%) and so the pump and his heart were too effective and sending too much blood out of ventricle resulting in what the call a suction event. They dropped his set lower limit speed on VAD and he is doing great. I would suggest calling your VAD team and see if they can help you. Hope this helps !  Diane