Profile picture for user Smiley
Angela B. Recipient

Feeling Good

If anyone would like to laugh, talk, cry, scream and just sat in silence. Plz feel free to reach out. You are not along. I have had my LVAD for almost 3 yrs….so I know a little something of what you may be going through. You are STRONGER than you know. 🤗🤗

Profile picture for user Giants17
Lee S.

Hi Angela,

Just read your post. I had my LVAD installed on 10/1/21. I've been feeling rather lousy lately. I;m fine health wise just been bummed out. I posted about a rash I have and I'm having trouble getting it resolve and id. It feels like i'm being pricked with needles. Very little support from my LVAD team my Dr is trying to help.I did a post about it but no one has offered any help. My wife was super supportive during the heart attack and installation but now i feel like i'm on my own. I wonder if i'm going to wake up every morning, just seems like i'm waiting to die. I'm 64 and have 3 kids which all are grown and have their own life. Never check on me. Just thought I'd speak out. I never do things like this but your post got me. Thanks for listening

Lee

Profile picture for user Smiley

In reply to by Lee S.

Angela B.

Lee S

I am glad you found my post helpful. I learned it better to let it out than to hold it in. You are going to be fine. I have never experienced a rash or infection but I can imagine it is frustrating. But I have experienced negative thoughts and I can tell you they are not helpful or healthy. Whenever you have those thoughts…move just move out of that spot, call a friends, send me a message…ANYTHING just change location and the direction of your thoughts. God did not save us to allow us to suffer. You a 64 years young with tons of life remaining for you to enjoy. Don’t alllow tht LVAD to stop you from enjoys the life you want. You are not alone. 

Profile picture for user Marsanta
Joanne L.

Hi Lee and Angela,

I am about 7 months post implant and I can relate to you both. I have also struggled with a driveline  rash and itching. My LVAD team is helping me -but it is not at all easy. I am going to try something called Primapore for my dressings. I have also had odd pains and numbness in both of my legs. I am trying to fight the negative thoughts as best I can. At this point I think there is some real trauma from all of this and I think it comes out as negative thinking. I am also 64 years old and I want to live very badly! However I have sort of come to terms with the fact that life is and will always be different than anything I have ever known. I think that we need to go through a grieving process for awhile. That said- I am having more and more success with overcoming the negativity and remaining in a happier frame of mind! My husband and I are planning some trips and I will get to see my Grandaughter at Thanksgiving for the first time in three years. This to me is a major triumph considering how sick I was. So I guess the bottom line is that We still have our lives and we must try to live them to the fullest-however long we have. There are going to be challenges with our bodies but do what you have to do and move on!! Life is still here for us. Happy Holidays to you both and all the other LVAD brothers and sisters!!

Profile picture for user Giants17

In reply to by Joanne L.

Lee S.

Thanks Joanne,

I keep fighting the rash daily, it hurts to bend over because of the rash. I do have some success with the primapore dressing and have just ordered some from Amazon, My LVAD team really isn't to supportive regarding the rash. They are freaking me out about a stroke, seems like thats all they are concerned about.

My  wife and I have been to Florida and Nashville earlier this year. And are planning more trips in 2023. I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving as I was in rehab last year and didn't get released until 12/8. I hope you have a grand time with your granddaughter. 

Ya know after 13 months I can pretty well handle the Lvad I just really want to have the pain and discomfort from the rash to go away and be able to take a shower and swim in my pool.

So, I'm really trying to keep my head up and stay positive

Profile picture for user Marsanta
Joanne L.

Hi Ron,

Here is an update on my rash. It was getting frustrating because anywhere the tape is positioned my skin breaks out. The itch is really horrible. I know that I cannot itch the area or I risk an infection. Fortunately the last 24 hours have been better. The Primapore is helping and the dressing changes are easier as well. My husband does my dressing changes- so he is relieved. My team was almost going to put me on some Cortisone cream but things are now improving so it is not necessary. For awhile we had some luck with constantly changing the tape to different positions- but that failed as well. We also use Hibiclens with saline rinses instead of the Cloraprep. I think this is going to be an ongoing thing- my team says that some people get the rash so bad that they can only use the iodine. They have been very responsive to my situation so that helps. We also talked to the home nurse when she was here and she said she has seen the Cortisone cream work but you must take care to use a tiny amount around the perimeter and only cream not ointment. Use a Q tip for application.I have also heard that silicone tape is much more comfortable -but my team has not approved it 

As far as the worry about stroke- that simply is awful! I have had to fight that myself. There is so much stuff that could go wrong that it is overwhelming at times. However, I will say that my team does try to minimize the amount of things to worry about. They try to steer me towards living as normally as possible. I am a worrier- so I have to really avoid looking too closely at things. My Granddaughter and daughter came for Thanksgiving and it was wonderful! I am trying to be optimistic about the future. People are living longer and longer with these devices and new breakthroughs occur all the time. I have heard some miraculous success stories and there is no reason why we can’t experience that too. The Abbot people recently had a meeting with my team and reported that the Heartmate 3 is showing remarkable success! The Doctors are very pleased. There are fewer strokes occurring now! Thank you for your kind post!

Joanne