Profile picture for user Meghan Rao
Meghan R. Caregiver

Heartmate 3 battery charger

My father received a Hearmate 3 in November, and we have been slowing adjusting to his new life.  The battery charging situation causes him anxiety, and he would like to add a second charger.  Please let me know if you have one available.  

Has anyone purchased a charger from EBAY? 

Thank you,

Meghan R.

Profile picture for user MegSlater
Meg S.

My husband just celebrated his 2nd Vadiversary in November 2022 with his Heartmate 3, -we have his charger  plugged into a dedicated outlet & never had an issue. I would recommend your father express his concerns with his team. My husband has a spare battery bag which holds 4 extra batteries & an extra controller. He has ample batteries.

Profile picture for user hilleyja
James H.

I received a total of 8 batteries.  I keep 4 in the charger, 2 in the backup bag, and 2 connected to my controller.  I rotate batteries:  2 charged batteries from the backup bag to my controller.  2 charged batteries from charger to the backup bag.  2 partially discharged batteries from my controller to the charger.  When I pull charged batteries from the charger, I check for the number of charge cycles and always use ones with least number of charge cycles.  This routine keeps the batteries even.  It's been almost eight months since implant and I have yet to need to recycle the batteries.  I don't know why you should be concerned about the charger; you only need the one.  If the charger fails you still have enough batteries to contact your VAD Coordinator for a replacement charger and you still have the plug in power supply.

Profile picture for user Giants17
Lee S.

Ditto to James, I use my batteries the same way and have them the same way. You don't need another charger. My batteries last from 8am till 11pm and I still have 2-3 dots left at 11pm. I was implanted on 10/1/21 and have had no problems or situation with them. The only problem I had was some idiot came down the road and knocked the telephone pole out. Power was out for 12 hours but still had back-up batteries.

Profile picture for user hilleyja

In reply to by Lee S.

James H.

I took care of the power outage problem before I left the hospital.  I had them install an emergency standby generator.  It's probably overkill but gives me piece of mind.  In eight months it has only tripped once for about 10 seconds.  Power went out, controller alarmed once, standby power kicked in, alarm turned off.  Power came back on 10 seconds later and the transfer back to normal power was fast enough to keep the controller from alarming again.

Profile picture for user Giants17
Lee S.

Ditto to James, I use my batteries the same way and have them the same way. You don't need another charger. My batteries last from 8am till 11pm and I still have 2-3 dots left at 11pm. I was implanted on 10/1/21 and have had no problems or situation with them. The only problem I had was some idiot came down the road and knocked the telephone pole out. Power was out for 12 hours but still had back-up batteries.

Profile picture for user KJSewilo8
Kaitlan S.

Hi,

My name is Kaitlan and I am a 30-year-old woman on my 3rd LVAD over the span of 14 years. I have had end stage heart failure (Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy) for about 3 months after my 16th birthday. I have had a total of 3 open heart surgeries, and lots of others. I also had to have 1/3 of my sternum removed, and I have an artificial valve. Over all these years, from all the surgeries, I ended up over a decade getting about 3-4 bacterial infections (one fungal) and have been on antibiotics and an antifungal for about 10 years. I currently still take 3 antibiotics every day and have been doing so for the past decade. The infections are isolated to my site and resistant, but the medication keeps it "at bay" so it's not in my blood stream or anything. I was actually put on Hospice for 2 years after my last open-heart surgery... I sat home for 2 years thinking I was going to die. This March it'll be 2 years that I've been off Hospice :) While on hospice, I found out that I had Melanoma (skin cancer) but it's amazingly in remission right now. I am getting older and starting to feel SO different and it's hard to live with this. I missed part of my childhood and early years and cannot have babies obviously, and this affects me every single day. I feel scared every day, and I don't talk to anyone about it. As I get older I find it harder and harder. I'd REALLY like to reach out to people that understand me first hand, and get my story out there! Hope to hear from ya guys!

Thanks!

Profile picture for user Ginger
Ginger H.

After reading about the possibility of a power grid failure, I am thinking of buying a Solar generator to charge my LVAD batteries in case there is an emergency.  Does anyone have any knowledge about brands or specs?  Will insurance help with the costs?