Profile picture for user sandraharm@yahoo.com
Sandra K. Prospective Patient

Wearing jeans

Anyone able to.wear jeans again after lvad?

I used to live in jeans but now they seem to press on my driveline site too much. I've basically been living in pajama/lounge pants and getting tired of them. Any suggestions for pants? None of the lvad gear has suited me. I feel like a football player using the vest or shirts and don't wear ahorts.

Profile picture for user Giants17
Lee S.

I miss my jeans too. I currently use caro pants and now cargo shorts. both batteries in the front pockets and the controller in the left cargo pocket. Alittle bit of velcro to keep the wires together. Works like a charm. I can't take the weight on my shoulders.

The current LVAD gear doesn't suit me either...can't find anything comfortable.

In reply to by Lee S.

Sandra K.

Lee, don't the cargo pants press on your mid section the same way jeans do? I'm afraid to try anything with a zipper or button closure at the waist.

In reply to by Sandra K.

Lee S.

Hi Sandra,

The cargo pants set on you just like jeans do. I use a belt to keep them up because of the weight of the batteries in the front pockets. I don't have any problems with them.

In reply to by Lee S.

Sandra K.

Thanks for the cargo pant idea Lee. My site is right where the waist of my jeans used to hit. :-/  I've tried high and low rise pants but everything seems to hit wrong. I will try the cargo pants. My husband used to wear those because he liked the looser waist. For me now, anything with a zipper or button hits wrong. So far I have been wearing cotton lounge/pajama pants. I use an lvad shoulder bag.

Profile picture for user karendale

In reply to by Sandra K.

Karen H.

My sister had a vest that went over her head and clung close to her body. The batteries were on each side with the controller in a small pocket in middle. She found it very comfortable as it held close to her body. No bag to lug around. Unfortunately I forget who made them but if you search lvad gear I’m sure you’ll find them. 

Profile picture for user WandaHunt
Wanda H.

My husband received his LVAD 1/23/2020. He wears jeans everyday.  He wears a concealed carry shirt with the pouches on each side to put his batteries in & I make a pouch in the middle of the shirt to hold his controller. It has worked very well. At night he wears a T-shirt & I make a pouch for the controller. He keeps the controller by him as it gets to hot to keep it in the pouch. When he gets up to the bathroom he puts the controller in the T-shirt pouch. This works well for him. You can contact me at wanda.saversrealty@yahoo.com

Profile picture for user goodwench1000
Diane B.

There a number of different styles of jeans. Hi rise, low rise and hipster. It really depends on where your exit site is and the availability in you size.  Have you tried any of the form fitting tops made for LVAD that have pockets for the 2 batteries and controller. If you wear a loose blouse over top it is hard to see the equipment. If you can sew and move the battery pockets to under your arms it does reduce the profile. Good luck !

In reply to by Diane B.

Sandra K.

Hi Diane, yes I have tried a pocket shirt. It made me look like a football player lol and I didn't like it. It was also too hot for me. Thanks for the ideas!

Profile picture for user PhilInMS1985
Phillip M.

I wear a football girdle under my pants to hold the equipment. You can find them on Amazon for $30 for name-brand gear. They're used to hold football leg pads in place. I haven't had any problems. It hides the controller and batteries. Granted it does literally feel like you're wearing football pads. I have been able to wear jeans, shorts, dress pants, casual pants, workout gear... no problems. 

I also throw my batteries in a bookbag and clip the controller to one of the straps. That's my casual setup. I've tried other custom LVAD gear and I've found it to be overpriced and not really the most comfortable. 

Lee S.

Sandra, it sounds like your entry port is right on your waist!! Mine is located about halfway between my belt and left breast. Being on your waist would be a problem. Need to lose that bag and get free.

In reply to by Lee S.

Sandra K.

Its not the bag that's the problem, its the location of my site! Waistbands hit it and its hard finding any pants to wear. My site is about an inch under my waistline. 

In reply to by Lee S.

Lee S.

Sandra check out page 2 of all the posts under a great way to wear your batteries from Adrienne. Larry B has a picture on there and wears his batteries just like me.

Lee S.

Why would they put your entry site there????????????????

Profile picture for user dstills
Deannie S.

I have trouble with that too. My exit site is about 6 inches left of my belly button so jeans are a problem. I have wondered how a doc chooses where to put it. Some of the men seem to have theirs farther up the torso. About the only jeans I can stand are the pull on with the wide elastic waist. JAG makes some like that. Not perfect by any means. I am pretty short waisted and wonder if that has something to do with placement. My surgeon has retired now so can't ask him why.

Sandra K.

Deannie.S., same here! The surgeon that put in my lvad left the hospital and went to another branch in a different state. :-/ I can't ask him anything. I've seen some people with their site on the left side, some on their right side.