Profile picture for user sandraharm@yahoo.com
Sandra K. Prospective Patient

Where was your driveline site placed?

My site is about 2-3 inches to the left of my belly button, about an inch below my waist. The more I talk with people on this website, the more I am thinking there isn't a standard placement for a driveline sute? I was given an LVAD as emergency surgery. I was given a 30% survival chance until I got the lvad, so this wasn't a planned surgery for me.

Profile picture for user Mirizarry
Miriam I.

Maybe that's why it is where it is. Mine was scheduled so I guess it was planned, because they asked me where I wanted it placed. But it doesn't matter where it is, you are still alive, that's what matters, praise God.

Profile picture for user Giants17
Lee S.

Why did they put it below your waist??? Mine is left side mid torso. No wonder you can't wear any pants!! My surgery was not planned either.

In reply to by Lee S.

Sandra K.

Lee S., I'm not sure why they put it there but the surgeon is no longer at the hospital branch where I had the surgery. He's at a branch in another state. I can't ask him unfortunately.

Profile picture for user Stan_C
Stan C.

LVAD tells me the driveline leaves the heart, excess coiled 3" above belly button, exits body 3" above the 6" to my right of belly button, and coupler is 9" long outside of body pointed to my left with controller connection there.  I wear shirts one size too large to prevent rubbing against the driveline as it makes the exit site sore.

In reply to by Stan C.

Sandra K.

Stan C., thanks for sharing that. Mine is below my button, off to the right. Makes it hard finding pants to wear for similar reasons why you wear certain types of shirts. Any movement places pressure on my site if I wear pants that have a zipper or button.