Profile picture for user sandraharm@yahoo.com
Sandra K. Prospective Patient

Vacuum cleaner alternatives?

Does anyone miss not using a vacuum cleaner? How do you take care of carpeting without one? Any suggestions besides having someone else do it?

Profile picture for user Giants17
Lee S.

I think this another one of those....OMG you can't do that from any LVAD team.. I do vacuum from time to time and have not had any problems.

I get the water deal...stay away...hell I haven't had a shower in 20 months.

I believe all LVAD teams blow some things out of proportion.

I believe most of your driveline infections come from trauma.

Profile picture for user sandraharm@yahoo.com
Sandra K.

Lee S., didn't they give you a waterproof shower bag? Avoiding swimming isn't a big deal for me (not my thing anyway), but not being able to use a jetted tub or hot tub kind of stinks. That would help so much with stiff muscles! :-/

Profile picture for user Giants17
Lee S.

My team did give 2 bags after a year!! I just have to take the plunge...no pun intended!!  A hot tub would be wonderful to ease the aches. I do have a good system set-up to wash up...I used to be in the Army so I know to wash up without showers when we went out on maneuvers.

Profile picture for user Lgb0250
Larry B.

I vacuum every week. I didn’t ask permission because I’m positive my team would laugh at me. Same thing happened when I told 5hem about people now showering! They laughed. But then again, I’m on batteries 24/7 and have been for many many years.

Profile picture for user Brant
Brant S.

According to the inquiries I have done the the big fear with using a vacuum is the increase of static electricity.  

Now  from what I have heard from my team this is more of a hazard with heartmate 2 and older and also that is a bigger risk while on the mobile power unit (as it is sensitive to power anomalies) but being on the batteries is less of a risk. 

That being said I vacuum several times a week but only while on batteries and have had no issues or alarms.

Profile picture for user Stan_C
Stan C.

In a nutshell, I do whatever I can do but more carefully.  I cannot bathe of course and must shower and have hired a housekeeper who comes in once a month mostly for doing the bathrooms, stove, oven, etc.

One thing I have noticed on this forum are the vast differences between LVAD teams on what we can or cannot do.  Fact is, my LVAD team has these differences depending on this experience with LVADs.  Had to go to one of the Directors of the department to get one issue fixed as what I was being told did not make sense.  With his help the issue was resolved thankfully.