Profile picture for user Stan_C
Stan C. Recipient

HM3 Impeller Strikes Baseplate

Has anyone been told their Heart Mate 3 LVAD impeller is striking the base plate causing super low flow conditions with alarms, hard chest thumping, stiff back neck, severe light headedness, blurred vision, eyes super sensitive to light, and sometimes a strange numbness in the chest?  Have you ever even heard of this?

I've had my LVAD 5-12 years and this condition has occurred on occasion but for last 2 years it is becoming more frequent.  I now have some degree of it daily usually in the mornings and if I am not home I have had to pull the car over till it passes (sometimes as long as an hour) or if I'm lucky and my wife is with me she drives me home.  Have complained to my LVAD team so they are aware of it for past 2 years but no suggestions other than to be sure I am not dehydrated.  Hydration not a problem as I drink 80-90 ounces a day and get up 3-5 times a night to go to restroom.  I was thinking it was connected to my AFIB but I've had an AV node ablation so pacemaker is controlling heart rhythm.  Finally one of my LVAD Coordinators told me yesterday about the impeller striking the base plate since I had one of these attacks while in their office.  She is scheduling me for multiple tests to try and figure out what is wrong so can report back what we finally do for this condition.

Profile picture for user sabelhac@gmail.com
JUANITA S.

Yes I have same problem.  Had my VAD since October 31, 2022.   My heart recovered after LVAD inserted and I was told my heart and VAD are both fighting to work.  Changed my medications around many times and had Abbott turn my flow settings down to 2.0.   Seems to work most of the time.   Prayers for you.  

Profile picture for user Stan_C
Stan C.

Flow of 2.0?  Wow, that is when my low flow alarm goes off and I feel my worse.  My preferred flow is 5.0 to 5.2 with PI of 3 or less.  Start having issues when flow drops to 4.0.  Yes, prayer for you also and hope they get yours working correctly.

Did CT Scan Monday and have no Thrombosis or or other blockages in the LVAD system.  We do an echo this next Friday to adjust speed of controller to balance heart flow.  Will follow up.