Profile picture for user Cathie
Cathie W. Caregiver

Sterile Dressing Supplies

My husband got his LVAD June 2018.  We JUST received the first invoice for dressing supplies and it was $3,443!!    Our cost after insurance for Chloraprep is $202.  A box of sterile gloves $75, Foley anchors (which are terrible and always come off but that's another story) are $62.00  The company is Alere, now Acelis.  (and we have really good insurance).  What are people using besides Chloraprep to clean the driveline site that is more affordable?  Is there a better source for gloves and anchors?

Profile picture for user maw400170
Mitchell W.

I got hooked up with a company called OrthoDinamics. The lady I deal with is Leanne Yeary @ 317-774-0145. I would give he a call and see what they can do. As for cleaning, I became allergic to the ChloraPrep swab sticks. Used alcohol prep pads for a while until my nurse found a product called ExSept. It comes in a bottle that you wet a sterile gause pad with and then go thru the cleaning routine. It has worked well for me and my rashes have been minimal. I never really got on board with the anchors. The way i wear my equipment i usually have my drive line tucked away and safe inside my belt/pants. Not saying that's right, but it works for me. As always, your LVAD support nurses should always be your guides.

Mitch

Profile picture for user tearle
Tony E.

For the anchor we use 3M megapore tape, either paper or cloth, holds great. We also use Betadine swaps to clean the site and Sterile saline wipes on the driveline. Our co-ordinator approved. If you have an allergy, you can wipe off the betadine where the dressing sticks with the saline wipes.

Profile picture for user Geschke1
Ann G.

Hi

i have a large box of latex surgical gloves that I’d be more than happy to send you if you think that would help.  They are sterile.

we also got our first statement for supplies a year after the fact.  $1600.00 a month!!

after insurance $150.00.

let me know if the gloves might help and you can let me know how to get them to you!

Ann

Profile picture for user Cathie

In reply to by Ann G.

Cathie W.

Ann G wow that would be great!  Here is my email address:  cwright4@rochester.rr.com

email me and I'll give you my address.  thank you so much :)

Profile picture for user Deb218
Deborah C.

Hi Cathie,

My husband had his L Vad for 2 1/2 years before his cancer returned. He passed away last April. We had severe issues with the supplies and used Continuum. The first year his supplies ran 300-600/ month but the second year Continuum started charging a flat fee of $20,000/month and lied to our insurance company that they were monitoring his L Vad 24/7. I reported them for insurance fraud. It took a year of investigation since they continued to lie to the insurance but eventually the insurance company started taking back the 20,000/month they had paid. I would  avoid using them. I hope you have good luck in finding cheaper alternatives. The supplies are a big rip off and costs for after care are not discussed prior to receiving the Vad.

Debbie C

Profile picture for user Paul w Shea
Paul S.

Check with this co. 

Wound care resources

4 Newbern hwy

Yorkville, TN.  38389

888-287-9797

I’m not sure what the girls name is my 

wife speaks to each month.

patient:        Paul w Shea corinth,ms.

paulshea7559@bellsouth.net.

Profile picture for user ihatesnakes8
Peter G.

We use Woundcare Resources, they are in Tennessee. They ship to use every month like clockwork. I am a caregiver for my mother. She has had for a little over a year. 

Profile picture for user adivello1963
Anthony D.

I have a lot of unused supplies I’d like to donate to anyone who could use them. Please contact me at Laura.tyrie@gmail.com, this is my girlfriend’s email address

Profile picture for user Cindy
Cindy R.

Hello!

I agree with anyone who recommends OrthoDynamics,  who can be reached at 317/774-0145.  I have excellent, and I mean excellent service from them for over 10 years now, and would not consider another supplier.  They will take good care of you as they have done for me.  You will not regret making that phone call.

Best Wishes,

Cindy

Profile picture for user KeithBarnes@roadrunner.com
Keith B.

I Do NOT use the Driveline holder I receive with my kit #51300SFP-NA,  any one who needs more just let me know I have a bag full.  I use StatLock FOL0100 a Catheter Stabilization Devise, only needs to be changed every 3 - 4 weeks. Also the gloves that comes with my kit Size 7 are too small, let me know if someone needs them.

NKBarnes@roadrunner.com

Profile picture for user shortstp78

In reply to by Keith B.

Juanita P.

Hello Keith, I've been an LVAD patient for 3 1/2 years now...I don't use the cath in the kit either, but the statlock does look good.  I use one with velcro very easy to get around driveline evenly and now locking in the holes...just velcro.  I change once a week...if all goes well. 

Juanita 

Profile picture for user ROBIN BRADLEY

In reply to by Juanita P.

ROBIN B.

My husband got his LVAD July ‘19 and it took awhile before we realized that he was allergic to the adhesive on the driveline stabilizer in the OrthoDynamic kit and saw that someone used the statlock. It worked so much better and the allergic reaction and the poor attachment were a thing of the past. 
robin