Profile picture for user lvaduser.001
Lori C. Caregiver

Has anyone had the Covid vaccine yet who currently has an LVAD

Hello everyone!  I was interested to know if anyone received the Covid vaccine and has an LVAD  Can you share your story .. side effects and any advice 

Profile picture for user Reiss_Tatum
Reiss T.

I had my first dose a week ago today (Pfizer). Nothing unusual to report. Slight soreness. I have had my Heartmate II for almost ten and a half years. Second shot will be on 1 FEB. My cardiologist and VAD coordinator were sick for one day after their second shot with flu like symptoms. I expect the same, but maybe not. The LVAD, in my opinion, is not an issue but other issues but other conditions may be. Not worried.

In reply to by Reiss T.

Lori C.

We are encouraged to hear that!!  Wondering if you had to stop blood thinner meds prior to taking it

Profile picture for user Larry in W-S
Larry N.

My wife and I got our first dose on 1/10/21. Sore arm for a couple of days like after a flu shot, but no other side effects. I now get a text from V-Safe regularly to report any symptoms. Nothing to report. I’m 77, got my HeartMate 3 in Dec 2018. The nurse asked if I as on prescription blood thinners, and of course, I am. But the only consequence was she applied pressure to the injection site for a few minutes before applying the band-aid. My LVAD team said their second doses were a bit more uncomfortable, with flu or cold like symptoms for a day or so afterwards. I’m very grateful to have gotten the first one and look forward to  the next. We’ll still need to follow the 3W protocol, but will feel safer. 

Profile picture for user NancySmith
Craig S.

My husband and I got ours on Jan. 13.  No problem except a bit of a sore arm.  I hope you can get yours soon.  We are from Oregon and now we are worried we can't get the second dose as they are reporting not having enough vaccines.  

In reply to by Sharon S.

Reiss T.

Yes, done at a senior center where I live in Jacksonville, Florida. We go back on Feb 1st, can go later, any Monday.

Profile picture for user repair61@@

In reply to by Lori C.

scott s.

I have Heartmate 3 since 8-1-19.  1st shot had no effects.  2nd shot 2 days later had sore throat and flu symptoms for 3 days, nothing real bad, just annoying.  vitamin c foods, oranges, pineapples, grape juice  for week before, week of and week after each shot.

Profile picture for user bcbc0605
Barbara C.

Gmorning my husband had his lvad implanted 7/1/20 and is doing well after some (hicupps) as they called it in Tampa generalhisp. Can't thank that team enough for all their support thru this awful covid time. My husband received his covid 1st shot 1-4-21 and has no issues except for a sore arm for a couple days.  We did clear it with his cardiologist in Tampa that it was ok for him to receive the shot as we live in ft myers. Good luck!!!

Barbara C.

Lori C.

Looks like we have to wait since we are under 65. Scary when you hear they are running out constantly.  Did you get your vaccines at hospitals or vaccine centers.  It would be great if the LVAD medical teams were distributing and /or giving us information on this.

Profile picture for user shohfiish

In reply to by Lori C.

Sharon S.

In addition to my husband’s LVAD, we are in the 75+ group (he’s 85 & I’m 81). One of our LVAD coordinators at UNC called us 10 days ago as soon as they started scheduling appointments. We  received our 1st doses today at a large vaccination center set up by the University. It was amazingly organized & efficient. We go back Feb 10th for our 2nd dose.  

Profile picture for user rlouis1439

In reply to by Sharon S.

ron l.

Hi. How was the 2nd shot in regards to side effects? When was your husband implanted? Thank you. Cheers! 
‘Ron L

Profile picture for user Anthony70

In reply to by Sharon S.

Anthony W.

If you haven't gotten the COVID-19 vaccine I'd highly recommend researching it. DO NOT TRUST MAIN STREAM. This is not a vaccine yet. It is still in trial and you will be part of the 3rd phase. It WILL NOT stop you from getting COVID-19  and it may cause serious risk. I know that it is pushed by doctors and big pharma but it's dangerous.  Please go to ICAN.org for some legitimate facts surrounding the trial vaccine. Personally I won't be getting ithttps://www.icandecide.org/covid/

All the best.

Profile picture for user AngelPrettyman
Angel P.

I am also participating in the Pfizer study where I am. After the first dose, I just had soreness and maybe a headache. I got the second dose late yesterday afternoon and woke up achy, shivering, feverish, disoriented, nauseous, and I feel better today but I'm still pretty out of it. Before that, since the Covid hit I was taking Zinc lozenges I hate to take that but only to strength my immunity. 

Reiss T.

My wife and I had our second dose two days ago and have had zero adverse reaction or after effects. However we both took two Tylenol tabs before the shots and continued every four hours afterward for one day. It seemed to work great but have some concern that the "before" doses may serve to weaked the effectiveness of the vaccine. Am not able so far to find a clear answer on this, only opinions but no data. I understand that NASIDS should be avoided but acetaminophen is OK. It's my opinion that we should all get the shots subject to the agreement of your VAD team or other qualified providers. Please do not go just by what I say. 

In reply to by Reiss T.

Sharon S.

Our nurse daughter told us to take Tylenol before our shots & for 24 hours after as you did.  We had our 1st vaccines on 1/19 & didn't even get sore arms.  We have our 2nds on 2/10 & hope to have the same result, but even if we do have a reaction it will be worth it.

In reply to by Sharon S.

Sharon S.

Just after I sent the above comment, I read the following comment, so looks like we'll change our plan - sorry.

"Dr. Tony Moody, a professor at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute, says Tylenol and other painkillers could affect the effectiveness of the coronavirus vaccine if taken before getting a shot. Afterward, they're fine to take for any associated pain, he says."

In reply to by Sharon S.

Reiss T.

Just wondering if this is Dr Moody's personal opinion or specualtion, or is it based on clinical vs antecdotal evidence. I have the greatest respect for the medical profession but have been around long enough to have developed a healthy skepticism of many doctors' opinions. I have learned to asked "why". "Because I (or he or she) said so" is not a good answer. My VAD team of ten or more doctors and nurses took Tylenol before and after. Some were sick the next day and some were not. Hopefully there will be a difinitive answer sooner rather than later. 

In reply to by Reiss T.

Sharon S.

I agree with your comment & am in the process of doing further research. As I first mentioned, our daughter is a nurse at a very large hospital in Los Angeles, she & her co workers, including doctors, have all followed the described Tylenol regimen. I posted that 2nd comment so that that anecdotal information would be taken as such.

Lori C.

Finally he will be going! It’s been a long wait! How are all of you doing since your vaccine!  Have you been able to see family!  Any new advice since your last posts.  They help I even tell my kids and family what you write.. so I’m listening 

Profile picture for user lschoen
Lauren S.

My colleagues and are actually very interested in the LVAD population's thoughts on the COVID vaccine! If you would like to participate in a quick survey about this (and earn $5!), go to https://allocate.monster/YDJSWLAR. This is open to patients and caregivers. Thanks, everyone :) 

Profile picture for user hayes.carolyn79

In reply to by Lauren S.

Carolyn H.

Hi I had my first vaccine on 2/16/21 and felt nothing at all.  I had my second vaccine on 3/12/21 and  my arm was sore for a few days but I think the nurse went up a little higher on my arm the second time and may have hit a muscle but it soon went away.  I just used what I normally use for sore muscles and that seemed to give me some relief.  I still wear a mask when I go out or someone comes to my home.  By the way I've had my LVAD  (Heartmate ll )since 4/6/12 and still going strong.

Lauren S.

Hey everyone, here's an updated link to take the survey about COVID-19 for LVAD patients and caregivers: https://allocate.monster/TJYQTMYJ. 

In reply to by Elaine H.

Sharon S.

My husband received his HeartMate 3 August 2019. His LVAD Team at UNC urged all their patients to get the Covid vaccine. We received  our second shot - Pfizer, on Feb 10th & are very thankful

Profile picture for user Stan_C
Stan C.

I have been encouraged by my LVAD team to get the vaccine.  They have lost several LVAD patients who have not had the shots.  My wife and I get our 2nd shot this April 1, 2021.  Not an April Fools joke....

Lori C.

I have to say I was nervous to take him!! It was a large convention center.  Very organized and FEMA was everywhere to help. 
It was not crowded at all.  They helped us schedule the next appointment before we left.

He seems fine!   Just a hurt arm this morning! I’ll keep you all updated.  

Lori C.

Ok so we are going for our second vaccine soon.  My husband has the heart mate 3.  Did you have any symptoms with the second dose and what did you take for it

Profile picture for user goodwench1000

In reply to by Lori C.

Diane B.

Not sure if you already went. My husband who also has a Heartmate 3 had his 2nd shot (Moderna) a month ago. His arm was sore. felt a little punky next day but not much else. I assume your husband is on coumadin so you know he cannot take Aleve or Advil but he can take tylenol if necessary. I was told not to take tylenol day before or after as some people have been saying because it could decrease the body's ability to build up immunity. Not sure of veracity of comment but it makes sense. Good luck !

In reply to by Diane B.

Lori C.

Hi Diane

thanks for that update.  On all the feedback on this site I learned he can’t take Advil.  He seems ok so far. His arm is sore but not swollen.  No temp or aches.  So far so good! Thank you all for your comments, we really rely on it!!

Lauren S.

My research team at Baylor College of Medicine is still sending out our survey to learn about the LVAD community's thoughts about COVID and the COVID vaccines! LVAD patients and caregivers who take the survey will receive a $5 virtual gift card, and it only takes 5-10 minutes.

Click here to take the survey: https://bit.ly/2QlgCGi

Let me know if you have any questions by emailing me at lauren.schoen@bcm.edu. 

Profile picture for user Tessos6
Tess W.

My husband had LVAD surgery in Dec ‘20. He had 1st Pfizer shot in Jan (absolutely no side effects) & 2nd in Feb (sore arm and he felt under par for 24 hours, but fine after). All good since and it is a great relief to know he’s had the vaccine. 

Profile picture for user Rosa Avey
Rosa A.

My husband has both both shot and did not have any site affect. But I was super sick with second shot maderna

Lori C.

I think to be safe We are going to wear masks outside.  Unfortunately I’m nervous about the delta virus and the fact vaccinated and unvaccinated can spread it.  Sooo I’m guessing it’s back to being isolated.   I wish  the unvaccinated would wear a mask, but most won’t.  I wonder how long this will last.  I was told we are going to work onsite instead of remote.   Advice to keep my husband safe?

In reply to by Kathleen B.

Rosa A.

Yes my husband is new to his lvad. And he wears his mask everywhere we go. We try not to go in busy places. When we want to have dinner . 

Profile picture for user Tessos6
Tess W.

My husband got his LVAD in December and had the Pfizer vaccine in 2 doses in Jan & early Feb. A very slightly sore arm after the first and feeling a bit “meh” after the second (but only for a day) and then absolutely fine. 

Rosa A.

Yes I forgot to mention my husband and I both got our shots. We had the medorna. I got real sick. But he did not !!!